Craftsman Router?

X1TX

My experience with Craftsman routers has been that they are adequate, but far from the best stuff out there. I would take a Porter-Cable or DeWalt over Craftsman any day. Definitely make sure you get a router with a 1/2" collet -- Craftsman routers used to only come with 1/4" collets, though I believe some models now have 1/2".

I also find that the Craftsman routers tend to be rather large (physically) and heavy for their HP rating -- especially the plunge models. I generally avoid plunge routers unless I particularly need the plunge capability for the current operation, because they are larger, heavier, and less rigid than fixed-base routers. That all makes them harder to control handheld.

The Craftsman Professional series router is identical to the Bosch 1617 which IMO is a killer router. Get the Kit with both bases and you're good to go. I do have a little 1/4" collet Craftsman router that got me started but I soon grew out of the limited range of bits it allowed me to use.

The Craftsman Professional series router is identical to the Bosch 1617 which IMO is a killer router. Get the Kit with both bases and you're good to go. I do have a little 1/4" collet Craftsman router that got me started but I soon grew out of the limited range of bits it allowed me to use.

The Craftsman Professional is what I have. No problems. I like it a lot.

I like the adjustment controls and it is well balanced and handles well.

I particularly like the little plastic window that lets you see the cut, but keeps the majority of chips away from you.

It even has a small light to see the cut.

It is a variable speed router.

One thing I like about Craftsman is the customer sevice.

They tends to be real good with any tool issues.

I do not have any tool loyalties. I buy what I think is good for my projects.

I only have one crafstman power tool and the router is it.

I have a Bosch jig saw, a Ridgid joiner, a Ridgid spindle sander, a Porter Cable belt sander, a Porter cable hand sander, a Milwaukee hand-held drill, and a 1950's Delta drill press.

The rest are hand tools.

Edited by MP63

Buy Sears screw drivers, wrenches, sockets and tool chests. But buy your powere tools from another manufacturer, you will be better off for it.