Bass Project

Great Stuff! Good luck on the project!!

I can never make up my mind on pickups. One day I like the mellow tone of the P and the next I like the pop of the J and somewhere in between I like my Hum's and then there's active...... I played a Yamaha 775 the other day with the Nathan East EQ and I can't get that sweet sound out of my head. (time for ANOTHER bass?!?!)

Anyway, enough rambling.....I'd go P on the neck and J on the bridge with a tone control for each, a master volume and a sweep to play one or the other individually or mix them both.

Another option on pot's is master tone, master volume and sweep. That will save you some room only using 3 pot's. I'd definitely do the sweep though, you're going to need/want it one day.

No matter what you do it's going to be a beauty with that wood combo!

My 2 cents....

:D

Yes, a sweep pot will act like a switch without having a toggle switch. Center will put the J and P pu's in evenly, sweeping one way will put J in more until you hit the end then only the J will be in. The opposite direction will work the P in until it's in the circuit all by itself.

See this site for wiring diagrams:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/diagrams/.../oem/jbass.html

That will get you a single tone with a sweep and a volume. You just substitute a P pu for the neck. My Grind is set up with the 4 pot's like I described above. Drop me an email if you want that wiring because I can't find it on the web.

Steve

on the subject of pups, any ideas on pickup choice for my forthcoming 2nd bass,

its a 4-string fretless with af. mahogany body and mahog/rosewood/mahog laminated neck with an ebony fingerboard.

i was thinking single humbucker , ala musicman stingray any thoughts?

( i really dig that fretless stingray pino palladino sound)

Yeah John, that MM puts out a sound all it's own! I have one on the drawing board (after I finish the 2 in progress) that has 2 HB's. My Grind is set up that way but not with the MM style HB's, it's got soapbars. The Grind has more of a jazzy pop & snap to it. The MM's have a lower more mellow sound to them.

I have a local source for the MM HB's for under $20. I don't see them on the website but if you call them you can order them over the phone. In fact they'll sell you two of them for $37 or $38! Not a bad deal. They deal in a lot of closeout stuff and have bargains on most everything in stock. (they only have "Lace" guitar PU's for you guitar guys and I don't know anything about Lace). You can get their 800 number from the link below.

http://www.warpdrivemusic.com

PS: I'm not affiliated with these guys I've just gotten great bargains and service from them and thought I'd pass it along. They have tons of Martin and Gibson stuff in stock too. "Local" to me is within 75 miles because I live in the boonies and everything is 50+ miles away!!

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

I will be ebaying a project OLP 5 string body soon. The pickup worked last time I checked, so I'll double check it soon. Also, there's alwarys OLP pickups on there.