1st Timer!! HELP..few questions...

To clarify "guitarbage" see link below. He sells a lot of guitars and bodies for "fixer uppers". I posted it before the auction ended last week thinking one of you guys would be interested in reviving these guitars. The blue one is in the link - the red one is the one Basiliskk666 got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...egory=7266&rd=1

Ace: The holes in the neck can be filled with 5 minute epoxy. Use a needle or something thin to get the epoxy in the holes and the air out. Let it dry overnight and sand the area smooth. Put the neck on the body and line it up how you want it the use a drill bit, awl, etc. to reach through the body holes and mark your new hole placement. Drill new holes and install. I also use this technique for filling tuner holes that don't match up. I just don't like empty holes in bodies (wifey - are you listening :D ). A trick to use for holes that may be seen is to get some fine sawdust of the same color wood you are patching and mix it in with the epoxy. Once it's sanded and finished it is very difficult to see.

Thanks for the reply bluespresence, but I misformulated my question: The question should be more like "can I be sure that the routing of the neck pocket on all strat copies is such that all strat copy necks have the appropriate distance from the bridge when fitted snugly in the pocket or could it be that I have to "bolster" the neck pocket or in the other case make it run further towards the bridge in order to have the correct scale length?

oh and Guitarbage doesn't ship to the old world, but thanks for the link anyway

so long

ace

Ace, sit the neck in place, and measure nut-12th fret and 12th fret-bridge. If these are the same, you're good to go.

For the existing holes, don't fill them with epoxy - no offence to Blues' but that is a bodge. The neck is an important structural member, so you want to keep it solid. Fit hardwood dowels into the holes - drill them out a bit bigger if necessary. Glue them in with wood glue, and trim them flush with a chisel and sandpaper. Once they've had ample time to dry, clamp the neck in position (you can string the two e's to ensure the neck is correctly placed) then mark through the holes in the body where the new holes should go.

Drill the new holes taking care not to go right through the neck and out the otherside!! A masking tape depth stop is your friend :D