1st Timer!! HELP..few questions...

Here's what i have so far:

-->24-fret Maple Neck (tuner holes drilled / string saddle in place / already fretted)

-->Jackson Kelly Body (recently painted bright RED... pickup configuration (H-H) I plan on installing Duncan Designs or EMGs 81/85

--> 6 Grover Tuners (6 in line)

--> Licenced Floyd Rose trem system w/ locking nuts

HERE ARE MY INITIAL QUESTIONS

...i basically have a big puzzle to put together....

1. can i remove the already-installed string saddle on my neck and replace it with the locking nuts? or will it matter if i have a floyd rose trem w/ OUT the locking nuts?

whats the best way to go about doing this??

2. do all necks bolt on to all bodys reasonably easily? when i hold the neck up to the body it seems like it should bolt on just fine but i'm afraid to actually go through with the bolting at the risk of making a costly error....

3. i have a 5-way/3 knob set of working electronics...but isnt a 5 way switch pointless when you only have 2 humbuckers?? i'd like one tone and 2 volume knobs...i know the electronics are going to be the most dificult part of this project

anyhelp GREATLY appreciated!

thanks!

-Andrew

If you use 2 splittable HB's (not EMG's), Stew-Mac carries a 5-way switch that replicates all the PRS options (inside coils, outside coils, all that stuff) on a standard 5-way switch.

Just a thought...

I don't know anything about Jackson/Kelly bodies, is there a route for a Floyd bridge already, or are you going to do the routing for that? The neck may be 24 frets, but what scale length is it?

I hate locking nuts myself, I use Graphite nuts and lube them with even more graphite. BUT you have to have some good locking tuners if you have a chance in hell of it staying in tune. So that's what I do, use graphite nuts and locking tuners with my Floyds.

Why do you think you are going to hurt something by bolting your neck on? Is there something about it that is causing a problem?

I don't know anything about Jackson/Kelly bodies, is there a route for a Floyd bridge already, or are you going to do the routing for that? The neck may be 24 frets, but what scale length is it?

I hate locking nuts myself, I use Graphite nuts and lube them with even more graphite. BUT you have to have some good locking tuners if you have a chance in hell of it staying in tune. So that's what I do, use graphite nuts and locking tuners with my Floyds.

Why do you think you are going to hurt something by bolting your neck on? Is there something about it that is causing a problem?

the body is Jackson brand Kelly is the body style if you were confused on that...

i'm not sure what scale length is...

it's already routed for floyd rose...the whole guitar is routed out for electronics, pickups trem etc....the body is ready to go...

i was thinking about getting locking tuners and saying **** the locking nuts but i already have nice non-locking Grovers so....maybe i'll see them we'll see.....if i use the locking nut will removing the Bone string saddle and replacing it with a locking nut be a problem?

i'm worried about bolting it on just because its my first time...i'm afraid i'll do it crooked or somthing ...i dont know...i'll get it done...

i'm probably be posting pictures soon...

thanks for replying!

if you were planning on using a floyd rose, and a locking nut then why the hell did you buy really nice grover tuners? if you have a locking nut, w/e tuners you hav, it's not gonna matter. That's why most guitars with floyd roses have shitty economy tuners, cause you only need them to get into tune, not stay there. So i guess you wasted money either way on the tuners. So you're either gonna have to buy a locking nut, and go through hell installing that, and have wasted money on having grovers, OR you have to go buy locking tuners, and if they wont take back the grovers, you're screwed.

So it's you're choice on which way you wanna be screwed. :D I'd go the second way. just go get locking tuners, nice ones. Yes, the locking nut would install on the neck, but i would not advise doing it your self, spend n extra few bucks to get it professionally done, and ask the guy to watch him, and even offer him like 15 bucks to teach ya, that way you can do it your self next time.

Also, one more thing, come on man!! you can get a bit more creative than that!! Throw some spice on it!! kick it up a notch!!

:DB):DB):D

if you were planning on using a floyd rose, and a locking nut then why the hell did you buy really nice grover tuners? if you have a locking nut, w/e tuners you hav, it's not gonna matter. That's why most guitars with floyd roses have shitty economy tuners, cause you only need them to get into tune, not stay there. So i guess you wasted money either way on the tuners. So you're either gonna have to buy a locking nut, and go through hell installing that, and have wasted money on having grovers, OR you have to go buy locking tuners, and if they wont take back the grovers, you're screwed.

So it's you're choice on which way you wanna be screwed. :D I'd go the second way. just go get locking tuners, nice ones. Yes, the locking nut would install on the neck, but i would not advise doing it your self, spend n extra few bucks to get it professionally done, and ask the guy to watch him, and even offer him like 15 bucks to teach ya, that way you can do it your self next time.

Also, one more thing, come on man!! you can get a bit more creative than that!! Throw some spice on it!! kick it up a notch!!

:DB):DB):D

they arent really nice grovers...they are simply Grover brand and they ere 12.99 off ebay...brand new

i can use my FR Trem with out having the strings lock...it'll just just out of tune a lot....i'm looking into locking tuners...i have the money, i'm not worried about that.....I'd like to install the locking nut myself but if its a bitch i dont want to risk it...my buddy repairs and can help me...

what do you mean i can get more creative? The Kelly is a funky body...i'll have her air brushed with some custom graphics...mostly satanic / medieval imagery...

aside from that, i'm just building the axe i've always wanted

i like maple necks....but i can never find a jackson body with a maple neck that i think plays well...i play metal so i need the EMG pickups...plus i have a pair lying around...

what do you think i should do?

Well then thats cool about the grovers. I'd say get it professionaly done, definately, it is a total bitch. Ask the guy if you can watch, and as i said before, maybe offer him some cash to watch him, that way the next time yougo to build a great guitar, you can do everything yor self. Well the airbrushing sounds cool. i thought you were gonna leave it red. Also, are you gonna make or get made a decal for this intrument? That is always cool. Well I've chiped in my 2 cents, and I guess al i can say is have fun with it!

Leaving the issue of nut/tuners aside for a momment, what I would be concerned about is the unknown scale length coupled with an already routed bridge location. You need to know the scale length that the neck was made for. Might be just fine, but it would be a shame to have the guitar be unplayable due to this being overlooked early on.

Leaving the issue of nut/tuners aside for a momment, what I would be concerned about is the unknown scale length coupled with an already routed bridge location. You need to know the scale length that the neck was made for. Might be just fine, but it would be a shame to have the guitar be unplayable due to this being overlooked early on.

how can i figure this out??

what happens if the scale length of the neck doesnt match the bodies?

the distance from the nut to the bridge needs to be exactly double the measurement of the nut to 12th fret...if the bridge is placed for 25.5 and the neck is a 25 or 24.75,then your intonation will be off

ok i measure from the nut to the 12th fret...that means from the bridge saddle to the 12th fret or from where the neck meets the body to the 12th fret??

then i measure the entire neck and hope that its double the saddle to 12fret length?

cut me some slack i'm a newbie to technical guitar talk...i know the nut is the truss rod ...but it runs through the whole neck so i'm confused as to where to measure from...

little help??

We all were new to something at one time or another so don't be embarassed to ask questions. It's how we all learn.

The "nut" is the notched thingy that your strings cross at the end of the fretboard by your tuners and peghead. Measure from the inside of the nut (neck side - not tuner side) to the 12th fret. Then measure from the 12th fret to the bridge at the point where your strings cross the "hump" if you will. This is called your "witness point". It's the spot on the bridge saddle where your strings first touch something solid. Those two measurements should be the same. If you have a 25.5 inch scale your two measurements will be 12.75 inches each. I play bass with a 34" scale so both of mine are 17" (17 + 17 = 34).

Since your saddles are adjustable the second measurement may not be exactly the same but it is usually within 1/16th of an inch. If it's more or less make sure you measured correctly.

Hope this helps.....and if I missed something or stated it wrong someone feel free to correct me. :D

I searched and finally found a link with a picture. This should give you a better idea of what I'm saying above.

http://www.trademarkguitar.citymax.com/pag...page/111141.htm

I thought you said it was a 24 fret neck? Is that pic a different neck than the original post talked about?

I wouldn't put a locking nut on it - I'd go with locking tuners. Not because I like them better (I don't give a sh*t - locking nuts never bothered me one bit) - it's just the lack of space to put it. You could put a locking nut behind the existing nut - I've seen that done before but it becomes a real tuning nightmare. You can also build up a ledge to mount it on but they always look weird to me.

So what's the deal with the 22 fret neck - is that the one you are going to use? The body is a 22 or a 24 fret designed body?

I thought you said it was a 24 fret neck? Is that pic a different neck than the original post talked about?

I wouldn't put a locking nut on it - I'd go with locking tuners. Not because I like them better (I don't give a sh*t - locking nuts never bothered me one bit) - it's just the lack of space to put it. You could put a locking nut behind the existing nut - I've seen that done before but it becomes a real tuning nightmare. You can also build up a ledge to mount it on but they always look weird to me.

So what's the deal with the 22 fret neck - is that the one you are going to use? The body is a 22 or a 24 fret designed body?

this just shows my ignorance...i asked for the guy to build it 24 frets but your'e right...it is only 22 frets

am i completely ****ed here? the body i have is a jackson kelly KX10D body

jac_kx10d_red(noneck).jpg

Looks like "guitarbage" to me!

He's got some cool stuff at great prices doesn't he! I hope you turn back into the beauty it once was.

You'll have to put the neck on and measure scale length to see what you have. I'm no Jackson expert but everyone seems to be saying you need a 24 fret neck. I'm sure someone can find a use for the neck you have. Including me......that would look just peachy on the strat body I just started. :D

Looks like "guitarbage" to me!

He's got some cool stuff at great prices doesn't he! I hope you turn back into the beauty it once was.

You'll have to put the neck on and measure scale length to see what you have. I'm no Jackson expert but everyone seems to be saying you need a 24 fret neck. I'm sure someone can find a use for the neck you have. Including me......that would look just peachy on the strat body I just started. :D

well i have a Jackson Rhoads EX ...its my favorite guitar...i play out with it...i record with it...its great....and it has 22 frets...

so i think i'm all set

Well, similar to the neck question above, I have a problem, if I may hijack this thread for a few minutes. I have two Strat bodies lying around and two necks (one 21 fret, one 22 fret) out of strat copies (not those bodies, obviously). I think I'm set scale length wise, but the screwholes in the body don't fit the holes in the neck. I mean, the spacing is right, only the placing of the holes is not right when I put the neck in the neck pocket. Should I simply drill 4 new holes in the neck or am I screwed? (pun intended)

so long

ace

Oh btw, what is Guitarbage?