Least Resistance?

Karl E. Hungus

first of all let me introduce myself, this is the first time ive posted here. and im only now getting into guitar modifications. so please dont hate on the noob if i say something idiotic.

anyhow my question... im trying to get the most punch and tone out of a bass i can. so far from what ive been reading if i use passive pickups and go with just one volume pot i would be loosing the least amount of signal from my p-ups. therefore lots of tone. so is it possible to wire a guitar without ANY pots? i mean i have a volume and tone on my amp. is that even possible? concievable? or is my logic completely flawed?

It is possible. The chances there will be a noticable difference in tone is very slim. When a pot is at 0 it will read 0 ohms, if fact I would say you would be losing tone by not having the flexibility to adjust volume for each situation. The best sounding bass players I know use thier knobs to adjust thier sound to the room and amp, etc.

If you wire it straight to the output jack, I think you'd get a bit more brightness in the sound. Even when the pot is set at "10", it creates resistance between the lead and ground wires, which allows some treble to bleed through to ground (so I have read. :D ).