Tom Anderson Inspired Guitar

capu

Hello everybody!

I'm back again! This is my last project.

sc1.jpg

I started this project beeing inspired by a Tom Anderson I saw.

These are the specs:

Body

· Solid body

· Mahogany with flamed maple top (curved)

· Abalone center line inlay

· Finish: tiger eye

Neck

· Mahogany

· Thin D profile (Ibanez style)

· Indian rosewood fret board

· Compound Radius fretboard

· Abalone inlay at the 12th fret

· bold-on

Pickups

· Rails

Wiring

· 3 switch, one for each PU

· 1 sitch for coil split

Here are some other pics:

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Wow, that's beautiful.

I especially like the understated inlay at the 12th fret and the band of inlay between the sides of the bookmatched top!

Thank you!

The band of inlay between the sides of the top have been inspired by the PRS Santana.

If you have the pieces of abalone of the right measurements (in particular the width) it's really easy, you just need to have a router of the same width

and a Dremel. It took me 15 minutes (and it was the first time I did a job like that).

At the same time of the building this one I built another one completely in mahogany and here is the picture showing the routing of the line:

Picture

I fixed a piece of wood that I used to guide the Dremel.

Wow! That does look great ! ,,, looks much like this Godin Artisan ST that I have as far as overall shape, at least to me. Your's of course is much MUCH cooler.... I sure wish I could build one like it someday....

Wow, you are completely right the two guitars looks really similar! The inlay on the fretboard are similar too!

Thats really nice!

In the same time I built another guitar that is similar to this one, the differences are:

Roller nut instead of Graphtech nut

Chrome hardware instead of gold

2 humbuckers and one singlecoil (but same wing)

All mahogany body (without maple top)

Natural finish

I'll post some pictures when competed ;-)

Do not hesitate with posting it.. I´m very interested in your work

I'll be very pleased to do it ;-)

I'm building it for a friend of mine and he is choosing the color, the pickups, the wiring and all the other details. When it will be ready I'll post all the pictures (the building ones are the same as the ones I posted for this guitar).

:-D

A friend asked me what techniques I usually use to stain.

Here I'll report some consideration:

I usually use a water based stain [...]. I think that is similar to the StewMac ones.

In my Blue PRS copy (http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=30177&st=0&p=332072&#entry332072) the technique used was: I applied only ONE coat of a water base stain then (BEFORE IT WAS DRY) I wiped with a damp cloth: this technique enhances the flame.

Remember that if the final color is too dark, the final result, when laqued, will be dark and you will see the flame only under the direct light.

I did something similar with the tiger-eye color of this guitar: I first applied a single coat of brown stain (mahogany color) then before it was dry I wiped on it a coat of orange stain: this second coat just replaced (washing it) brown with the orange on the surface of the maple leaving the brown in the flame. The result is better than what you can see in the picture.

On the other hand, I alway do some staining tests on scaps because each piece of maple react in a different way and the final result is always different.

I hope this will help ;-)