Jay Turser guitars

DividedByJames

I see guitars like this or this on ebay all the time, and while I'm tempted by the looks and price, I don't purchase one because I've never heard of the company and don't know what kind of quality goes into it.

I went to the website and still, the retail prices are low. There is one cool one for you acoustic builders...a Statue of Liberty guitar with the sound hole shaped like the face. Kinda cool looking, but the guitar doesn't wow me otherwise.

Anybody seen these in stores or own one?

They're made in China for export - I owned a great playing 335 copy for a while (lathough the pickups were kinda dookie), but I've played some at guitar shows that were total kindling. Don't buy one without playing it first, but check 'em out. Like Mexican Strats, there's a few real gems out there amongst the trash.

Yeah, I had one of the LP style ones with the dragon inlay (not serpent, they had dragons for a while). The pickups were complete garbage, if you pushed them at all, they fedback terribly.

The frets needed to be redone, the guitar was almost un-playable when I first got it and it was brand new (ebay).

Thats good to know. I would have replaced the pickups anyway in the electrics, but if the rocksolid stuff like frets and joints were crap then it's a no-no. If their workmanship is questionable, I might pass it up and go for the $99 Epiphone special at Musicians Friend/Guitar Center. At least I'm familiar with Epi's and I can go to GC and try 'em out there. Thanks guys. I have a surplus of electrics but only one acoustic--my rosewood Taylor 420R dreadnought. Love it to death but I wanted one I could beat up and not care about that looked decent.