12 String Classical

When I was at college in my last year one of the lads did a 12 string classical. It was a super small body (taken from the plans of a 1800's five course guitar)

Sounded great actually, and I'm sure would sound even better if a little larger.

• 4 weeks later...

yeah never heard of it.. a guy @ our school is doing a classical for his third instrument.. I'd imagine that you'd need to do a lattus bracing (possibly out of spruce) in order to handle the tension..

how are the 12 strings set up?

Is this like a 12 string where the neck is twice as wide to have 6 bass strings?

or is this like your average steel 12 string acoustic guitar with octave strings?

I have picked up a few cheap supplies to try and do a 10 string (4 bass strings). I am using totally unconventonal woods, and a much thicker top for my first acoustic build. well first whole guitar build ever (mainly mod existing guitars). I dont expect it to be a work of art, at worst I hope it is functional.

Edited by billm90

• 4 weeks later...