Installing A New Top On Lp

So I just won the auction for a 1970's Crate Electra LP. This guitar has had the top cap removed. The auction includes the mahogany body, a humbucker, neck, tuners, and some accessories.

b2bb_1.JPG

97c7_1.JPG

e16e_1.JPG

What I am wondering is:

I want to use a curly maple top and stain it, but I want to leave a natural maple binding around the edges, can I leave extra material on the top's edges then stain the top and then scrape or trim off the extra? Or will the stain penetrate too far into the material? Or should I just buy some maple binding and do it like everybody else?

Edited by phoenix_rising

I'm sure even David will tell you it is not his technique, but simply 'a' technique that he employs.

This technique is displayed and explained in detail very clearly on Stew-Mac's 'Spray Finishing With Colors' DVD hosted by Dan Erlewine, which I've owned for at least 11 years now. Mine is so old it's on VHS and I believe was the first version.

I know there is a newer version out there, hopefully they covered this technique again in the second version. It's been around for quite some time. :D

I'm sure even David will tell you it is not his technique, but simply 'a' technique that he employs.

This technique is displayed and explained in detail very clearly on Stew-Mac's 'Spray Finishing With Colors' DVD hosted by Dan Erlewine, which I've owned for at least 11 years now. Mine is so old it's on VHS and I believe was the first version.

I know there is a newer version out there, hopefully they covered this technique again in the second version. It's been around for quite some time. :D

Cool! Thank you guys! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to let you guys know that I recieved the Electra today and am so excited. The neck on this thing is phenomenal! It is so much more slender and comfortable than a standard Gibson neck. I think I have identified the model as well an early carved maple top SLM Electra 2249 model. Looks like these came with rosewood fretboard on a maple neck early but then were switched to maple / maple.

http://www.rivercityamps.com/electra/2249.php

Anybody know how thick I have to make the top? I have a 4/4 piece of Curly Maple that I was going to bookmatch and is ready to go, but I am afraid it may be too thin seeing that most carved top LPs are about 2 7/8" thick and the body of this electra is is smaller than 2 inches. What do you think? Should I bookmatch the top or cut it as is (1" thick).

Edited by phoenix_rising

I just wanted to let you guys know that I recieved the Electra today and am so excited. The neck on this thing is phenomenal! It is so much more slender and comfortable than a standard Gibson neck. I think I have identified the model as well an early carved maple top SLM Electra 2249 model. Looks like these came with rosewood fretboard on a maple neck early but then were switched to maple / maple.

http://www.rivercityamps.com/electra/2249.php

Anybody know how thick I have to make the top? I have a 4/4 piece of Curly Maple that I was going to bookmatch and is ready to go, but I am afraid it may be too thin seeing that most carved top LPs are about 2 7/8" thick and the body of this electra is is smaller than 2 inches. What do you think? Should I bookmatch the top or cut it as is (1" thick).

The max depth from lowest to highest point on a Gibson Les Paul top is exactly half an inch. There is a flat area around the whole perimeter of the top extending in for 27mm before the curve of the 'arch' starts. The lowest point leaves 4mm around the edge for the binding. I'd book-match it if I were you.

I have a luthier plan for a LP at home and If you wish, I can post you exact measurements that you require. Just list them here.

hope that helps