Weber Amp Kits

carousel182

Hey,

Im very interested in building a 5E7 from Weber (https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_50a.htm#5E7). thing is i have little experience with wiring electronics, but i do know how to solder decently. do you think that i will be able to complete this project with little experience with working with electronics? Also i am aware of the dangers of working with tube amps. could anyone show me so good links on how to stay safe when working with them

Thanks

Hey,

Im very interested in building a 5E7 from Weber (https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_50a.htm#5E7). thing is i have little experience with wiring electronics, but i do know how to solder decently. do you think that i will be able to complete this project with little experience with working with electronics? Also i am aware of the dangers of working with tube amps. could anyone show me so good links on how to stay safe when working with them

Thanks

I would recommend doing a Champ or a 5E3, BUT the 5E7 is a great amp so thats doable also its not that its harder to do just a bit more work. You problably can do it IF you take your time, and stop to ask questions if you are not sure. Remember that the capacitors can and will hold a burst of 400V even if the amp is unplugged, so you need to safely drain them with a home made discharge tool before you go back in the chassis to do more work, and always probe an amp with your right hand only and with the left hand by your side, and never work with music head phones on. If you survive all this then you can see if the amp works.

:D

Edited by RMS

how is the 5E7 compared to a crate palomino 15w? thanks for your help

Not sure, I am not a fan of crate because of durability reasons. But I can say that I would rather have a Blues Jr. VS. this palomino.

But a 5E7 has some really sweat tone! Its much above both these amps, but I still think the Blues Jr is a nice amp too.

Edited by RMS

Do you have the 5E7?

what do you think i should go with for the cabinet cover, I'm thinkin' snakeskin, and black grill cloth, just because its unique.

also, how long do you think it'll take me to assemble it, and do you think i should do a small amp or pedal project before it to get me ready, if so, any suggestions?

Yes, I made a 5E7, here it is:

http://www.dreamtone.org/5E7.htm

And I would do a 5E3 first, its also a very cool amp.

I take it you play blues? Right.... :D

If you don't want to bother with fixed bias, you could build the amp cathode-biased. It would probably not be as powerful, but it would be simpler. You'd have to buy a few extra 5-watt resistors, probably in the range of 150-300 ohm? Instead of grounding the power tube cathodes, connect them together to the resistor and then ground the resistor. The value of this resistor will control how much wattage your tubes dissipate. So this involves some testing of different values and measuring voltages and calculating dissipation. You won't hear any difference in "loudness", but you just want to keep the tubes in a safe operating range.

Then take the 220k's that connect the power tube grids to the bias supply. Connect them as shown, but instead of connecting their junction to the bias supply, ground it.

RMS have you build any of the British kits? I was looking at the 6M18, 6M36 or 6M45. Now here is my debate. I know that I can build it, no doubt about that. But, is it cost effective when I can buy a Carvin head for $200 more? I have played the MTS 3200 and I like the distortion and the fact that it is 50/100 adjustable. But I don't play life so this is to satisfy me.

Can any of this kits able to saturate at a lower level, or will I have to get a brake???

....I know that I can build it, no doubt about that. But, is it cost effective when I can buy a Carvin head for $200 more?

Dude........people don't build guitars because its less expensive, they do it for the love of doing things for them selves same with amp builders. If this is not the case don't even bother, just buy an amp.

...I have played the MTS 3200 and I like the distortion and the fact that it is 50/100 adjustable. But I don't play life so this is to satisfy me.

Can any of this kits able to saturate at a lower level, or will I have to get a brake???

All the amps I build are 100% from scratch so I am not a expert on kits. What type of music are you playing?

This (saturation) is something I just broke ground on a year ago, with my mini jcm (prototype) basically its a low wattage amp with lots of gain at lower levels and is based on that circuit with a twist, you won't find a kit like that. I am presently working on a plexi jr and taking things I learned to the next level.

Any one can build anything but getting things 100% just right is not always easy, you can follow all the directions in the world and the amp can turn out doing some strange things.......there are some very powerful magnetic fields crossing paths with ultra sensitive inputs.

All I play is a little of Iron Maiden, Metallica, and the like, mostly rythm because my playing is not good. I do want to start to try some blues... the reason i want a good tube amp is so that when I show my guitars I want to have the player hear a real tone, not a plain solid state amp sound with some effects to it. And that over the years I stated to notice the diffrence in tone between amps... before I didn't. all of them sounded the same to me, but now, there is a difference.

This is why I have been looking at smaller size amps, instead of the 50-100w because I know that they are too much for what I need. But I do want at least a 2x12 because I like the fatter bottom end that it gives compared to a 1X12. I checked the site you posted, and there are a lot of great looking amps there built by some of the members.

You dont buy kits?So you just get the schematics and order the parts from there? I inclined to get a kit because it is all included there, and I don't have to be ordering from 3 or 4 different places. And I don't have a local place (at least that I know) with a brake bender for the tins. Back home would had been easier since my neigbohr owns a machine shop and have a few small benders.

I'm still don't know what to do... once Iget back from this school that I will go saturday I will decide... refund time should be up by then.

I am presently working on a plexi jr and taking things I learned to the next level.

Awesome. I built a 3 watt Plexi. It's my favorite amp and cost me only $50 in parts! (I built it into a gutted solid-state practice amp). I can share a schematic if you're interested.

BTW Maiden, you can buy blank chassis too. You don't have to make it yourself.

You need an amp that rocks, two 12's are good very good but thats a loud amp too, unless you do two green backs at 30watts each and a master volume amp ...this all seems to be saying JCM800, something with a master volume though. For blues I have a real sweet spot for a Fender 5E7, but the JCM can do both.

This type of amp kit would have three preamp tubes and two EL34 power tubes, its a kit that may be hard to do for a first time out and its a 50watter, but with a master you should be ok. Here is something you could build or buy if you wanted a project:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...;Category=10171

Edited by RMS

• 2 weeks later...

Go to www.geofex.com for a decent introduction.

If I were you I'd start learning electronics, i.e. FX boxes first, because it's much lower voltages and hence much safer. Start somewhere like www.buildyourownclone.com or www.generalguitargadgets.com to get kits, then you can move into making your own from schematics etc. www.diystompboxes.com has a decent forum for FX building, with that as a starting point it's pretty much a case of explore as you want.