Wiring Diagram For New Build

aidlook

It'll work fine, but theres a few extra tricks you may like to consider:

When you have both pups on, and the HB is coil-cut, depending which coil is cut you may or may not get a hum-cancelling combo. Thats worth having, so if when you first try it, you dont get hum cancelling in that setting, just swap the hb wires to cut the other coil instead. lets say you had a Seymour Duncan pup (or one with the same wire colours). The usual wiring would be black to hot, red/white joined and green to ground. Try that first, but if you dont get a hum reduction combining eth Hb single coil with the Sc, then change to red hot, black/green joined, white to ground.

One thing you might get when you first try it is an out of phase thin sounding combo - unlikely but if you do, it can also be fixed by swapping wires. Park that one for now.

The second trick is that you have an 'all off' setting in which neither pup is connected to hot. That will work OK, but you may find it picks up noise. A quieter all off is where the hot is actually shorted to ground. You can arrange for that if you buy two-pole toggle switches instead of single pole. almost the same price. To start with, just wire up one half as you have shown, and the quiet kill switch setting can be wired once its all working.

However, if the all-off is not something that you really wanted, how about wiring it so that you get a different sound as a fourth option? If you get the two-pole toggles, you could, as a second stage, wire it up to give you a super-powerful series connection between both pups, so youd get bridge, neck, both in parallel and both in series, all with sc or Hb options on the Hb pup - 7 very good sounds.

Bottom line is - your design works - with a few watch-its, and if you get two-pole toggles (ie DPDT) you have some interesting options for further enhancement with no extra parts.

John

The all-off was definitely intentional, since I wanted to be able to use a switch as a kill switch when in one pickup mode. I'd really appreciate it if you could show me the new options with the dpdt switches. I have a push/pull dpdt switch pot that didn't get used for another build wich I'd like to use for series/parallel if it's possible, but still keep the separate on/off switches for both pickups.

The all-off was definitely intentional, since I wanted to be able to use a switch as a kill switch when in one pickup mode. I'd really appreciate it if you could show me the new options with the dpdt switches. I have a push/pull dpdt switch pot that didn't get used for another build wich I'd like to use for series/parallel if it's possible, but still keep the separate on/off switches for both pickups.

Yes I think that is possible. So youd have an on/off toggle for each, which would each be DPDT, and a push/pull pot on say the tone control(?) (or volume control - which do you think would be better?). With both off, the guitar is dead, but if one or both are on, then pulling the push/pull will engage both pups in series mode.

How would that be?

I can sketch a diagram in a day or so if you would like - it would be quite a good design I think

If you can run to a second p/p pot, you can also have a phase switch - then youd have almst everything. how about that?

For the diagram, can you interpret a schematic and turn it into a wiring diagram? (your diagram is a wiring diagram)- a schematic is much easier for me to draw.

John

Edited by JohnH

OK, take a look at this:

HBSc.jpg

Ive done the coil cut and phase switches so when you operate both, you always get the optimum coil for hum cancelling in combination with the neck Sc. It also gives you access to both Hb coils if you just select the bridge pup ie changing phase also changes which Hb coil is selected.

Good luck, I think it should work out great, provided you can figure out the Hb wire colours etc. Ive done other versions using these principles and youll get an awesome range of tones.

cheers

John

Edited by JohnH

Wiringp.jpg

How does that look? I was a bit unsure of the killswitch to ground part.

I think the diagram is generally very good, and the all-off connection to ground is right. It shorts the output, only if both are off.

Theres one problem on S3. All the wires currently shown on the top left lug should be moved to the lower left lug, and vice-versa. If you fx that and repost, Ill look at it again

It may be hard to get the coil phasing right first time in terms of the + and - on each coil - but give it a try! If you want to figure this bit out first however, you can do this with an analogue multi-meter. Do you have one of those? If so Ill explain, otherwise its best guess.

John

Thanks for all the help and input John!

Would it be possible just to move the one on the top rigth lug on S3 to the bottom right?

I have the wiring colour codes for the pickups so I think I'll be able to figure out the +'s and -'s.

I'm now also toying with the idea of building a piezo pickup for the bridge + a preamp... But I might wanna run that to a separate output, but I'll worry about that when I actually decide to do it..

Thanks for all the help and input John!

Would it be possible just to move the one on the top rigth lug on S3 to the bottom right?

I have the wiring colour codes for the pickups so I think I'll be able to figure out the +'s and -'s.

I'm now also toying with the idea of building a piezo pickup for the bridge + a preamp... But I might wanna run that to a separate output, but I'll worry about that when I actually decide to do it..

I think it needs to be done as i noted, to get the two halves of the switch working together to do series/parallel.

You can see there are two S3 lugs joined together. These need to end up diagonaly opposite rather than on the same side. since they dont get connected to at the same time.

Also, if you are doing S3 as a push/pull, then the lower side on the diagram needs to be the side mounted to the pot. Thst so you get the more normal parallel option with the switch pushed in, and then pull out for series.

good luck

John

yeah, forgot to mention, I'm going with all mini switches instead of push/pull.

Thats fine - you will have a great guitar. Please let us know how it goes and what you think of it.

Im not sure what kind of music you are into, but one of my favourite tones with this type of wiring is neck single in series and out-of-phase with the bridge. With medium overdrive/crunch, it nails Led Zep 'House of the Holy'!

cheers

John :D