Zeta-style "biohazard" Eight-string

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All-RIIIIIGHT! Lemme know if you ever get some Youtube clips of any of your fights. My brother and I are addicted to MMA and BJJ and Muay Thai. We've been following K1 and Pride FC and have the entire Pride DVD collection, including the Pride-K1 crossover they never released here in the States. Fortunately, we've now got caught up with DREAM so the legacy of Pride continues. We're also following the Elite XC events here in the States, cuz we can't friggin stand the UFC.

Unfortunately, a black belt in Tae Kwon Do doesn't really qualify you for any serious combat competition. Heh heh. If it were a decade ago, maybe I'd get back into it all and try some actual fights. I've lost all my flexibility and the good ol' brew has packed me on some extra pounds. Heh heh.

As for the neck... I wanna see that front curve of the point of your headstock sharpened down and painted silver! Like a knife edge! Even better than my idea of mounting a (fake) bayonet on my stage bass! Build an axe WITH a harpoon point to spear people! Heh heh heh. Excellent work on that neck. Looks crystal clean and definitely will catch eyes after you polish that clearcoat.

Thanks for the positive comments! No silver edge unfortunately :-D

I'm going to bring the neck down to a satin finish when it's complete, but polish up the headstock. Gloss necks play way too slowly for my taste, so wooling it up a little and applying wax is where the back of the neck will end up I guess.

No videos on Youtube as of yet. I will eventually, however. Sundays fight was disappointing from a viewers perspective as it was all low kicks whilst I was hunting high for the cheeky pops to the face. I love them knees....

If you have done no finishing on the body yet, I'd like to suggest that this guitar would look awesome with a crackle finish-- black over neon yellow.

In fact, if you wanted to go really crazy with this, you could crackle the black over metal flake yellow. That would look incredible.

The tutorial that was here is hard to find and the pics didnt work last time I looked at it, but you can do it very cheaply with things you'd find at the hardware store. Rustoleum makes a 'crackle medium' that I much prefer to Titebond for that purpose.

Also, once you're done, if you don't feel up to doing a rattle can clearcoat, just get a local body shop to put an auto-grade clear on it for you.

The body is being finished with black-tinted Rustin's Plastic Coating as we speak. The spec was defined from the beginning of the project, and I don't believe in major u-turns mid-build, such as the finish really. I was deliberating over how to finish the body black, but that's all. :-D

Ummm...Titebond...is a glue...mixing it up with some other product, perchance? ;-)

The neck has had it's first flatting done after the clear has hardened. I may be putting on a few more coats and repeating the process. The body is slowly being built up for flatting back after brushing on black tinted RPC.

Going to laminate some yellow and black perspex for the pickup rings this week.

:-D

I'm going to mock them up tomorrow as i'm training again tonight. I believe I have a spare set of inlays left over from the fingerboard which I can splice in black perspex strips. If I don't i'll just go for a simple black-over-yellow lamination.

HAHAHA! It's no frearm remover, it's quite comfy and after 5 minutes, you no longer pay attention to it. Tell ya what, it's even comfier than a flat-cornered, square-edged Ibanez or a really really clean gloss finish which makes your sweaty forearm stick like glue. The texture "feels" like it would be rough, but it actually reduces surface tension and your arm slips across it easier.

Worst part about making an idea work well, is everyone wants to copy it. A friend from another band is stripping his bass and wants to take it to the same shop my brother did his at.

Oh! And here's something I tried with the wood blank screwed to the neck pocket... I poured some red paint over the bumps and then wiped the top surface, to make it look black and red, kinda like lava slowly cooling and still hot underneath. We didn't want to do this body, but if I ever do up one of my basses, I'll definitely try it. Do a red coat, then maybe a very thinned yellow over it and really get some burning glowing effect. I'll get some pics of lava cooling on the Hawaiian islands for reference before I try it.

aa_med.jpg

pele.jpg

And if we ever get swirling paintjobs figured out, we'll try this!

hawaii_49109.jpg

The neck has had it's first flatting done after the clear has hardened. I may be putting on a few more coats and repeating the process. The body is slowly being built up for flatting back after brushing on black tinted RPC.

Going to laminate some yellow and black perspex for the pickup rings this week.

Still doing this. Not enough contiguous time to layer on coats before the RPC window of doom, so i'm flatting and adding two coats every 2-3 days. Should be doing the final levels and coats this weekend before moving up the grits. Currently coating and flatting at 240. Pickups are going on order also. Will sort out photos of the pickup rings and cavity cover soon.

Made pickup rings out of cocobolo and scrap inlay Doug supplied with the fingerboard. Unfortunately, the router decided to blast pieces of the rings back to the 1980s so I have to infill a couple of corners. No major deal.

zeta8_19.jpg

Edited by Prostheta

Very fiddly work to accomplish, however. I spend a good three hours of work making those up! If the router just as much as looks at the rings in the wrong way - BAM! Pickup ring in two pieces. I got lucky as the ring stayed in two clean pieces and I managed to find the stray piece of inlay it threw a fit over.

Here's to cleaning the work area as you work, so you're not having to sift through sawdust when disaster strikes! smartass.gif

Not sure.... still got the scrap I did it to, so I could just take another pic maybe tomorrow. Tonight, I have to castrate a cell phone salesman with a dull 2x4 covered in lemon juice. Blatantly, forcefully lied to me, and I didn't obey ANY of the warning signs at the time.

When a salesman says, "Oh no, there shouldn't be any extra charges," you should pay heavy, focused attention to his use of the word 'SHOULDN'T'. There will be blood, oh yes...