First (serious) Build.

digi2t

Hi all,

Well, this is my third build, but my first serious build. My first was at 14 (didn't know what scale length was ;P), and my second was my Stratotang (Strat body, Mustang neck). Since I'm genetically programmed for wierd shapes, I decided on a Flying V.

100_0683.jpg

1.5 inch bookmatch maple with a .25 inch flame maple top.

pic2

Mighty Mite hardtail, StewMac Golden Age Hots (tapped), Modulus Graphite neck. Another top shot. Minwax Ebony to highlight the flames, Sedona Red for color. Minwax Poly Clear to finish.

pic3

Here's the back.

pic4

The fretboard is rosewood 24.75 scale, which a stripped off a Cort flying V. I will be swapping it out for this one next month.

pic5

I'll repost with the new fretboard when it's done. The neck was a 25.5 blank that I picked up off Ebay, and there's not too much info out there on graphite necks. I shortened it to 24.75 for slightly less string tension. If anyone needs info, let me know and I'll be more than happy to share what I learned. I didn't think to take any pics when I installed the threaded inserts, but when I swap fretboards, I'll shoot some pics and post them as well. It will give a clear idea as to what's involved to install one of these suckers. You CANNOT, I repeat, CANNOT just screw these on. You will regret the day you ever do, and cry yourself to sleep for the rest of your days.

A HUGE thanks to everyone that contributes here. Without the info that I gleened here, I would have never mustered up the courage to attempt this.

Edited by Rick500

Sorry about too many pics, I'll be graphically brief in future. Yes... "Shortened" means just that. Since the neck had no fretboard to start with, I took the excess off the heel and reshaped it. Then put on the fretboard. Setup the rest from there. The length of the neck was adequate for a 25.5 fretboard, just didn't want a 25.5 scale.

Da-yum, I really like the look of that! I'd even keep the fretboard that's on there, anything too flowery would take away from the beauty of the body! What kind of headstock shape do you ahve on there, I notice it's a pretty untraditional (for a Gibson) 6-IL

The only thing I'm not too keen on is the rear strap button placement. How is it to play standing up? I myself like to put my knee in the crook of the V, that's why I'm asking.

Sorry about too many pics, I'll be graphically brief in future. Yes... "Shortened" means just that. Since the neck had no fretboard to start with, I took the excess off the heel and reshaped it. Then put on the fretboard. Setup the rest from there. The length of the neck was adequate for a 25.5 fretboard, just didn't want a 25.5 scale.

your frets are going to be in the wrong place.

I think he's saying the fretboard he used is 24.75" scale, and he shortened the neck before attaching the fretboard. So as long as there's 24.75" between the nut and the bridge, and the original nut end of the fretboard is against the nut, he should be okay.

I think that's exactly what he's saying. So yeah in that case there shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, that is one pretty V! (I feel a bit dumb asking this but here goes-) Are those two small switches for the coil taps?

I think he's saying the fretboard he used is 24.75" scale, and he shortened the neck before attaching the fretboard. So as long as there's 24.75" between the nut and the bridge, and the original nut end of the fretboard is against the nut, he should be okay.

I think that's exactly what he's saying. So yeah in that case there shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, that is one pretty V! (I feel a bit dumb asking this but here goes-) Are those two small switches for the coil taps?

now that i reread, you're probably right. or, i hope you're right :D

Looks good. How's the graphite neck to play?

Personally speaking I was pleasantly surprised. I'm a huge Ibanez RG series fan, and this neck is similar to a Wizard profile. Not as wide at the nut though, only 1 5/8", but a very, very smooth feel in your hand. Some may say cold, but I've got a warm heart. Resonates surprisingly well.

Thank you, yes. That is exactly what I meant insofar as the neck/fretboard is concerned. Sorry to have disturbed your eyebrows :D. Thanks for clearing the air for me Rick500 and TheIRS. There are no such things as stupid questions people, only stupid answers. The 2 switches are the coil taps. I was a Chrysler pushbutton tranny fan, so I like lots of buttons and switches. (OOOPPPS, just dated myself....)

Edited by digi2t

Had you adjusted the intonation when you took the first pic you posted? Something looks a little off, but maybe it is just the pic.

Peace,Rich

Yes, intonation is spot on. Checked it numerous times. No problem with intonation or tuning. Everything in pitch. If something looks out of kilter to your eyes let me know.

I really like the guitar and the color you chose for the top gives it a nice vintage feel to me.

However, I’d be careful about that ebony board you are going to buy from Anostosi (SP?) My personal experience with this guy has been horrible. It took 3 weeks before he shipped my inlaid LP pickgard and a week after I got it the stupid thing rolled up into a tube. The inlay popped right out.

I wouldn’t tell you not to buy from him but I like to share my experiences.

Da-yum, I really like the look of that! I'd even keep the fretboard that's on there, anything too flowery would take away from the beauty of the body! What kind of headstock shape do you ahve on there, I notice it's a pretty untraditional (for a Gibson) 6-IL

The only thing I'm not too keen on is the rear strap button placement. How is it to play standing up? I myself like to put my knee in the crook of the V, that's why I'm asking.

The headstock is similar to the Ibanez Rocket Roll II, slightly pointer though. I agree that it looks unorthodox for a V, but it has JUST the right pointy shape to blend with the body. I`ll post some pic links tonight. All but one of my guitars are 6-IL (Ibanez RG570, Dillion Explorer, Stratotang), so I`m used to it now, although if it wasn`t for shape of this one, I probably would have gone with the traditional 3+3. I have a lawsuit Ibanez V neck as well, but I wanted to push the envelope with the graphite.

Here are some pics of the neck/headstock;

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

As for the strap button, it`s a Shaller straplock, quite rounded in shape so it really doesn`t bother me when playing seated. On a previous V of mine I tried a couple of different placements of the strap button, but I find that in the crotch of the V it actually brings the strap closer to my back, putting less direct stress on my shoulder. Also, it keeps the body symetrical and the points clean.

Edited by digi2t

I really like the guitar and the color you chose for the top gives it a nice vintage feel to me.

However, I’d be careful about that ebony board you are going to buy from Anostosi (SP?) My personal experience with this guy has been horrible. It took 3 weeks before he shipped my inlaid LP pickgard and a week after I got it the stupid thing rolled up into a tube. The inlay popped right out.

I wouldn’t tell you not to buy from him but I like to share my experiences.

Thank. I was really in limbo for a while insofar as the colors were concerned, and I believe my hand was shaking when I put the first coat of stain on. I just didn`t know WHAT to expect. But I guess that`s the way it goes, it`s a crap shoot sometimes. I just knew for sure that I didn`t want it too bright so it wouldn`t clash with the black graphite of the neck.

Thanks a bunch for the heads up on the fretboard. It only cost me 25$, so I`ll see whether I got gipped or not. The fretboard is rosewood, so I`m hoping that there will be enough resin content in it that it won`t blowup on me. I`ll give you feedback when I get it and let you know whether it beauty or bust.

Very nice!

Makes me want a V...

Very nice!

Makes me want a V...

Well... whatsha waitin' fer. Go get one! :D

Hah, there's actually a cheap tokai one on eBay that I have my eye on. Provided the price stays low, I might even bid...

Very nice!

Makes me want a V...

Hah, there's actually a cheap tokai one on eBay that I have my eye on. Provided the price stays low, I might even bid...

The Korina? Yup, I hope it stays low for you. I'm assuming the korina, it's the cheaper of the 2 there. Unfortunately, my experience has been that these items have a tendancy to sky rocket in the last 30 seconds of the auction, or the seller has a shark in the water to boost the price. It's done constantly at estate auctions, so I don't see why it can't be done on Ebay. Anyhow, best of luck to you.

The Korina? Yup, I hope it stays low for you. I'm assuming the korina, it's the cheaper of the 2 there. Unfortunately, my experience has been that these items have a tendancy to sky rocket in the last 30 seconds of the auction, or the seller has a shark in the water to boost the price. It's done constantly at estate auctions, so I don't see why it can't be done on Ebay. Anyhow, best of luck to you.

You're absolutely right. It's called bid sniping. A lot of bidders jump on it in the last 10-15 seconds with the hopes that there won't be time to be outbid. I've done it myself more than once. The big temptation for me is to re-bid right away, determined not to lose it bo a dollar ot two. I highly encourage you to determine your maximum price, raise it by 5%, and place your bid. If it goes for more than you were willing to pay, be content that you won't feel like you overpaid for it.

Very nice!

Makes me want a V...

Yup. I should be in when the auction finishes so if its still low and I do decide to bid (still not sure :D), I'll probably wait till the last minute and see if the price is still low (i.e. do a bit of 'bid sniping' myself B))

I do anticipate the price increasing.

The question is do I want another guitar, or do I want a bass (been meaning to buy one for ages) or a saxophone...

Anyway, should probably stop sidetracking your thread :D

Very nice!

Makes me want a V...

Yup. I should be in when the auction finishes so if its still low and I do decide to bid (still not sure B)), I'll probably wait till the last minute and see if the price is still low (i.e. do a bit of 'bid sniping' myself :D)

I do anticipate the price increasing.

The question is do I want another guitar, or do I want a bass (been meaning to buy one for ages) or a saxophone...

Anyway, should probably stop sidetracking your thread B)

6 or 7 string sax? :D

Sidetracking is OK. It's the only moments we'll ever get to stop and smell the roses. Let me know what you decide on. By the way (now I'm really going to try and screw you up), just saw a one piece korina Explorer body blank on Ebay. Hee Hee....

Cheers

There are a few things I would change if I were building it (personal choice and all that), but overall, I think it looks really great and I think you did a superb job of it, you should really be proud if that one.

:D :D :DB) B)

Thanks for your praise, I'm honored coming from a VIP member. Please don't hesitate in transmitting your personal tastes and insights. I'm fairly new to this art form, and all input will help me in planning my next build.

Thanks again.