Shipping Guitars

GGW

I'm really enjoying the guitars I've made but they're starting to pile up here. I need to free up space and so I'm wanting to eBay off my last guitar with a brand name on it. If I do, how do people pack a solid body guitar for mail/courier? It's in a case, but I would think you would want to pad it within the case itself and then box the case or something. I may be overthinking this, but I have no experience with this and would want it to travel without worry. Any tips are appreciated.

Make sure there's no room for it to move around in the case, and that the neck is supported along its entire length, not just at one or two spots.

Ideally, you'd want to pad between the case and the shipping box. I've shipped without doing that (shipping a guitar back to the manufacturer), but it's safer not to.

Yes, that's the exact webpage I was thinking of. Nothing like a mahogany neck Gibson to put your packing techniques to the test. Last guitar I shipped had a more sturdy maple neck. Instead of newspaper, the guitar case was wrapped with an old quilt (well, that's how the guy shipped it to me, so after doing the work, I shipped it back exactly the same way). Then the outer box was a 'Taylor Guitars' shipping box. Pretty damn heavy duty box. If you have to go out to music stores and ask for a box, and they have any Taylor boxes, grab that one first.

Most people think the only cause of damage to a shipped guitar is if the box is dropped. But another thing that can happen, once in a while, is someone else's package having a piece of metal sticking out that can punch through the side of your box. I know of one example, where a piece of metal went through the box and then right through the sound-board of a high end acoustic guitar.