How Would You Do This Finish

ihocky2

This is a factory finish on Jackson Soloist. So I know that it is only a veneer on a mahogany body. Transparent green on maple is easy enough to do. But the sides and back are the same color. Transparent green or green dye on mahogany should give a darker shade of green. So how would you go about creating this finish. The only thing I could come up with was to mask off the top and spray the mahogany white, and then spray the whole thing with transparent green. Any other suggestions?

greensoloist.jpg

Your probably right about this one being alder. I know the Soloist was originally designed to be a strat style guitar with the warmth of a Les Paul so it was a mahogany body and neck. But they changed to most of them being alder with only a few models still made from mahogany. So being alder makes it a lot easier to do.

My question still remains though, lets just pretend it's a mahogany body, how would you go about creating this finish. Would bleaching mahogany really get it light enough to do this?

My question still remains though, lets just pretend it's a mahogany body, how would you go about creating this finish. Would bleaching mahogany really get it light enough to do this?

My guess is they simply spray the whole thing the same color green. Is it such a bad thing if the mahogany side looks a little darker? In fact, the difference might not even be that great... try it on scrap, you might be surprised.

I have stained sample pieces of mahogany with red type dyes, a lot of the brown of the mahogany still shows through. I am not sure if the brown and green will mix well, all you can do is try it on scrap and see if you like it.

i have refinished a ton of jacksons. it is a candy coat, not a stain. and i am positive that that soloist is alder. the only soloist now adays is the slsmg, and a couple of custom shop soloists with mini humbuckers.