Tailpieces For Tele

I'm planning on making a telecaster, but I want to make it a little unusual. I plan on using more archtop type pickups, and I want to use some sort of tailpiece and a different bridge. Would this tailpiece work?

http://www.gypsyjazz.net/prodDetail.php?catid=6&pid=5

If not, Any suggestions on something that would work and that would look good at the same time? Also, what sort of bridge would I use with a tailpiece of this kind?

EDIT: I was also wondering about the pickups. I want to use Gretsch style pickups (filtertrons). Any ideas what would be the best for that? IF they have the same look, even better!

Edited by CleverPun

If not, Any suggestions on something that would work and that would look good at the same time?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder-- I'd feel silly playing a guitar with a tailpiece like that. And to me, much of the look of the tele comes from its hardware. No reason you can't use filtertron-styled humbuckers with a tele humbucker plate. Or use a fixed strat-styled bridge, and regular humbucker rings.

In order to use a tailpiece like that, you'll need to make the guitar an archtop, or at least have the bridge raised pretty high, otherwise there won't be enough tension on the saddles. As long as you're looking at tailpieces though, consider a Bigsby.

But be aware that your bridge choice and especially its height will have an impact on your neck construction/joint construction -- the higher the saddles, the more of angle you'll need. Or you can do it Rickenbacker style, with no neck angle but with the fretboard raised very high relative to the body surface (which opens up--or maybe forces-- the option of using toaster-style pickups).

Artec makes filtertron lookalikes, GFS rebrands them as their own, I believe Eastwood uses them too (look for an ebay seller called yarddoggolfer, he's Eastwood guitars, he often sells off his spare pickups, parts etc, at very good prices), and there are other selling the Artec stuff too. Of course, you can also buy the official filtertrons (which are probably made by Artec too!). And there are plenty of toaster-styled pickups out there too, another variation on the Gretsch coolness.

Finally, Fender/Gretsch put out a Filtertron-equipped tele, have a look at how they did it.

That tailpiece extends down 2 1/4", is your body going to be that deep?

Unless you arch it (you did not mention doing that) you most likely could not use it.

I have seen smallish tailpieces that would work for solidbodies, don't have a link at the moment tho...

Personally, I like that tailpiece and thank you for providing a link, I might find a use for one one day.

Mickguard, thanks a lot for that help. I thought it was meant for an archtop, but I watched a video by the Kills, and the guitarist had some weird set up with the tailpiece, so now I've been searching for something that would look cool. Thakns for the help with the pickups by the way.

Video link:

While it is true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, if anybody knows of any tailpieces that would work on a standard sized Tele, post them, and I'll check them out.

(Zyonsdream, I've seen that one online, it's looks pretty nice. It's one I'm considering.)

And no problem Drak, I'd love to see how it looks on a guitar, so message me whenever you make one with that baby.

Finally, Fender/Gretsch put out a Filtertron-equipped tele, have a look at how they did it.

This is one of my all time favorites

click

th_gt001_big.jpg

That is so awesome. I never would have guessed how that would look, but it's sick.

I like the Kills a lot...especially his guitar style. Hard to see the guitar, but I get the feeling it's one of those Japanese guitars from the 60s...like a Teisco...looks like some kind of tremolo tailpiece unit

If that's the case, then they're not the greatest out there...in fact, it looks to me like he's got the strings attached to the bridge--doesn't look like the strings go all the way to the tailpiece anymore...hard to say...though it's definitely not the same as the jazz tailpiece in your link.

Look around through the Guitar of the Month contests--there was an awesome sea-green tele with a jazzmaster-style trem unit, really nicely done, looks perfect with the tele. I think the guitar might even have won that month.

I like the Kills a lot...especially his guitar style. Hard to see the guitar, but I get the feeling it's one of those Japanese guitars from the 60s...like a Teisco...looks like some kind of tremolo tailpiece unit... it's definitely not the same as the jazz tailpiece in your link.

I only just started listening to them, I guess they're worth buying a CD? I thought it was probably some sort of knock-off brand. I know it isn't the tailpiece I was asking about, I was just saying that that tailpiece in that video is what prompted my interest.

I like the Kills a lot...especially his guitar style. Hard to see the guitar, but I get the feeling it's one of those Japanese guitars from the 60s...like a Teisco...looks like some kind of tremolo tailpiece unit... it's definitely not the same as the jazz tailpiece in your link.

I only just started listening to them, I guess they're worth buying a CD? I thought it was probably some sort of knock-off brand. I know it isn't the tailpiece I was asking about, I was just saying that that tailpiece in that video is what prompted my interest.

Well, if you like the Kills, then check out Suicide (if you don't know them). Oh yeah, another really great band is Algebra Suicide--you can hear a couple of their things on myspace, they were doing this 20 years before the Kills. The Kills do it really well though.

The Kills are part of that anti-flash, retro trash guitar thing, like the White Stripes. He also uses an old Hofner.

Well, if you like the Kills, then check out Suicide (if you don't know them). Oh yeah, another really great band is Algebra Suicide--you can hear a couple of their things on myspace, they were doing this 20 years before the Kills. The Kills do it really well though.

The Kills are part of that anti-flash, retro trash guitar thing, like the White Stripes. He also uses an old Hofner.

I'll check those guys out. Amusing that the two bands you recommend have the word "Suicide" in them.