Lowering String Action

Hi I need to get my string action down I put a different Bridge on but now the actions to high looks like I need to remove some wood from The shelf which the trem anchors are inserted into. It's a Alder body I need to remove Probably 1/8 in what would be the best way to do this? by Chisel or get a router? Thanks :D

Edited by Astro2k

Before hacking into the body, check the nut to see if the slots are a good depth, and check the neck for any bow. These both have an effect on the action. If the neck's straight and the nut is well-slotted, and your only other option is to set the bridge into the body, a router is the tool of choice.

I'd wait to hear what some of the other, more knowledgeable, members have to say though.

Is it a bolt on neck? If so, wouldn't a shim in the neck pocket make up for the difference? Hence, no calculated mutilation required. If it's a set neck, I'm sure someone in here should have an elegant solution to your problem.

Cheers

It's a Washburn Guitar older one I just rebuilt it. I put a Kahler tremolo on it (Like Kahlers over FR Copies) The inserts are all the way flush with the self the studs are all the way down. yes its a Bolt on neck but wouldn't adding shims make my problem worse? anyway I checked the neck and it's razor strait . The shelf that the inserts are in is very shallow maybe 3/16 deep. Thanks for your help guys. :D ON

Yes, Provide more details, and how high the min. action is with a straight neck.

A BASIC rule of thumb on how much adjustment in height is needed at the bridge if you are looking at the lowest string height at your 12th fret is basically 2X. By that I mean, if you need to lower the string 1/8" at the 12th fret, you need to drop the bridge 1/4". You want to be sure you don't go so low that you create break angle issues(with certain bridges) or other learance issues. It is often easier and cleaner to adjust the neck angle, but it depends on your situation(what bridge, body and such).

looks like I want to drop the strings @ 12th fret bout 1/8 in it's a older Washburn I've had for a long time used love to play it. I decided to rebuild it it had a kahler spider on it I really liked that trem so I rebuilt it just like new. The old body on the guitar was cracked and in bad shape so I replaced it used the same neck since it's still in great shape and always felt good in my hands. but neck sits higher in new body then it did old one the old body had much deeper pocket and trem stud self then new one. thats bout all info I can think of again thanks for the help.

looks like I want to drop the strings @ 12th fret bout 1/8 in it's a older Washburn I've had for a long time used love to play it. I decided to rebuild it it had a kahler spider on it I really liked that trem so I rebuilt it just like new. The old body on the guitar was cracked and in bad shape so I replaced it used the same neck since it's still in great shape and always felt good in my hands. but neck sits higher in new body then it did old one the old body had much deeper pocket and trem stud self then new one. thats bout all info I can think of again thanks for the help.

Adjust the neck pocket to get it correct. If it is 1/8" off take it down 1/8". Don't try to recess the trem 1/4" just because the neck pocket is too high.