Cnc Prs

jer7440

Looks BEAUTIFUL! As everyone knows....I'm a bit of a PRS fan, so I admit that I am partial to the shape. But I also love a nice cherry sunburst, and yours looks great! What kind of paint materials/process are you using to get that effect? I can't wait to see this finished. :D

Hey thanks, I created the burst by wiping on dye. The yellow is an aniline dye powder from LMII, mixed with water. The red is a cherry red Color Tone dye from Stewmac, also mixed with water. Someone posted a link to a video from Fine Wood Working about creating a sunburst with dye. I pretty much followed that process and then I just sprayed clear lacquer over it. If I can dig up that link I will post it.

Here is a link to this video. i followed this guys process pretty closely except I didn't finish up with shellac.

wipe on burst video

• 3 months later...

Well...this one is finished! I'm really happy with the result of my second effort. Here's the run down:

The body is alder with a maple cap. The burst is wiped on using Color Tone dyes mixed in H2O. The red on the back was color tone mixed in nitro and the clear coats are nitro.

The neck and fret board are maple with Santos rosewood (I think) bindings, inlays and head plate. Finish is tru-oil. I love the feel of tru-oil on the neck!

The pickup rings, cavity cover, and knob are also santos rosewood. These are also finished in tru-oil.

The humbuckers are GFS...they sound really good for the price!

Tuners are PlanetWave locking...I love the auto string cut off feature.

The bridge is just a cheapy I picked up off ebay.

finishedguitar009.jpg

finishedguitar002.jpg

Man my camera sucks! Oh well here are a couple more thumbnails

th_finishedguitar005.jpg

th_finishedguitar010.jpg

Hopefully I can get my hands on some better pictures.

Teehee, i can see the cutting lines in the earlier pictures. This really makes me want to get back into it! Nice color and shape too. Can you get any shots of it in natural lighting so we can get the full effect of the finish and grain? Natural lighting will help the colors show up a lot better, and you won't have that blurring effect from not having a flash. Natural light will also eliminate the blinding effect of a flash should you decide to use one.

Teehee, i can see the cutting lines in the earlier pictures. This really makes me want to get back into it! Nice color and shape too. Can you get any shots of it in natural lighting so we can get the full effect of the finish and grain? Natural lighting will help the colors show up a lot better, and you won't have that blurring effect from not having a flash. Natural light will also eliminate the blinding effect of a flash should you decide to use one.

Not sure what cutting lines you are referring to? I will try to get some outdoor pics. The weather here has been suck lately!

It looks very nice, my only suggestion for next time is to finesse more the carve from the waist down. It looks very nice on the horns, but once you go past the waist it looks as if smooths out like a flat top.

Thanks Maiden. The carve is a full 1/2 deep all the way around the guitar. I personally don't care for the "recurve" that PRS has in their carve. It creates an edge that rubs against my arm, so I made my carve a smooth transition between the flat plane where the bridge sits and the binding edge. When I get some better pics I will try to get a profile shot that will show this better.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Not sure what cutting lines you are referring to? I will try to get some outdoor pics. The weather here has been suck lately!

Sorry, i'm a big CNC fanatic. I made a 1/16 scale guitar out of aircraft aluminum (decorational purposes only, totally not playable or to scale, or even stringable for that matter), and the bit left these nice swirly marks all around the guitar. Most things done with CNC mills leave those "cutting lines" behind, and they looked beautiful on that aluminum body. it gave it almost a holographic look!

The cutting lines in your guitar are gone now, because you sanded it, so don't worry about it :D I just got excited because i noticed them in the contours in the early pics.

Sorry, i'm a big CNC fanatic. I made a 1/16 scale guitar out of aircraft aluminum (decorational purposes only, totally not playable or to scale, or even stringable for that matter), and the bit left these nice swirly marks all around the guitar. Most things done with CNC mills leave those "cutting lines" behind, and they looked beautiful on that aluminum body. it gave it almost a holographic look!

The cutting lines in your guitar are gone now, because you sanded it, so don't worry about it :D I just got excited because i noticed them in the contours in the early pics.

Gotcha!....I thought you could still see cutting lines...after I sanded. You made me do a double take! LOL

Do you work in a CNC field?

No, i don't, but its a dream job. I'm in college majoring in Robotics and minoring in IT, right now. The only CNC mill i work with is a crappy little Spectralight thing. Its a good thing to learn on though, because the program that it uses shows a little 3d preview of your stock and what your program will do. You can speed it up and slow it down too, so you can see if your spindle is going to crash or whatever. Its a handy little thing. But for me, CNC is probably the best thing in the world for making a neck. What other way is there to get a .001 tolerance, other than really careful eyeballing and maybe a thickness planer... okay bad example, but i love how exact they are, and i love writing programs and making robots do things.

Your guitar totally gives me inspiration to make perfect things!