Just wanted to say thanks to all the guys who had good stuff to say about the 8-stringer. It was probably my most rewarding build to date, just because of all the ways that it stretched my skill set. It has been interesting to play, that's for sure. Many thanks to Wes who organized the GBO, to all the guys who participated, and to David Myka for cutting me a good deal on the Ghost piezo system.

For those who missed it, I have a full build tutorial on the instrument. My version is something like 180 pages, ~100 photos and is about 600 MB in size so it is something of an elephant, and you can download it from my FTP site here (FTP). The file is (GBO_V8.pdf) but beware, it could take more than 2 hrs to download over dial-up.

Brian also has this tutorial and will hopefully link it up on the main PG page, perhaps with some reduction in file size.

The fanned-fret layout was done using the simple "select the outermost scales and connect the dots" method, choose your perpendicular fret (the "perp") and go from there. Simple in concept, but perhaps the only detail really missing from the tutorial is how to take this simple concept, and actually lay out the fret slots on the fretboard for cutting...due to the various methods of cutting fret slots (and because it would add about 50 pages to the tutorial....), I have left the details of this to the brave. But a little trig, a fret-spacing calculator, a spreadsheet and CAD will get you home.

The GBO came close to becoming what we had intended it to be from the beginning...the main nut to crack in that format is how to increase the incentive for guys to cross the finish line on time. Probably some kind of buy-in via Paypal would be the way to go (i.e. $50 gets you into the next GBO, winner take all). Many thanks to all the guys who stood up and mailed me their promised contributions to the pot, even though I was the only one to finish, I should be able to make it all into....something....this year (the promised "guitar by committee"). To all you guys who have yet to mail me your stuff, I won't give up hope!

Congrats to the other Jan GOTM guys on some nice instruments....Daniel, I've got 2 back & side sets of black limba ready to go myself!

gonna have to get my tutorial done as well soon. the guitar still aint done but is playable and i posted some vids of it in action

cant wait for the design by commitee thing. I did a similar thing with the bare knuckle pickups forum and that ended up with the guitar that won GOTM last month. Sometimes you just have to go with what you know best but i did some really interesting stuff i probably wouldnt have tried if people hadnt had the opportunity to suggest them

Erik, I absolutely loved your tutorial. I spent hours poring over it. It was very valuable from an information standpoint as well as being inspirational! When I first saw your guitar show up in the GOTM, I knew that there was almost no chance that something else could come along that would be amazing enough to prevent me from voting for yours, and I was right. Beautiful instrument. Congrats!

Congrats on a superior piece of craftsmanship. I had an inkling that the competition would be stiff, but I got my ass dusted, and rightfully so. Will only serve to drive me a little harder. Excellent tutorial. I think I'll skip the building in 2008 and just read that :D . By the way, I heard that they've reserved a spot at the Louvre, right next to the Mona Lisa, for the V8.

Happy New Year, and as alway,

Cheers