Tung Oil?

I just bought a really interesting strat body on ebay. Anyways I decided to use a tung oil finish on it, but the guitar is basically tons of little pieces of wood glued together in a butcher block style. Do any of you think the tung oil would interfere with the glue at all? Any tips/advice on applying tung oil would be much appreciated. I can't seem to find a really clear guide on how to use it. Also I'm buying a rosewood neck for it. The site I'm buying it from says its fine to leave it unfinished, but should I still apply tung oil to it? Also what brand of tung oil should I buy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Butcher-Block-S-Style-...1QQcmdZViewItem

^^thats a link to the body

It almost looks like it has some kind of oil finish on it already. Or maybe it's just well-sanded.

Anyway, a tung oil finish will not hurt the glue.

Rub it in with a lint-free cloth, leave it alone for 5-10 minutes, wipe off the excess with a clean cloth, let dry at least 6 hours, repeat as desired. Lightly rub with #0000 steel wool after the last application is dry, if needed.

Be aware that "tung oil" and "tung oil finish" are two different things. Pure tung oil takes forever to dry. I've used Minwax Tung Oil Finish many times and liked the results.

Edited by Rick500

buddhist, I posted a link to a very informative podcast on finishing with oils and varnishes, it might be worth having a quick look as it'll answer many questions on application, and gives some great tips in creating a good finish. It also gives you some more names to look out for so you don't as Rick points out get a tung oil that never dries.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
buddhist, I posted a link to a very informative podcast on finishing with oils and varnishes, it might be worth having a quick look as it'll answer many questions on application, and gives some great tips in creating a good finish. It also gives you some more names to look out for so you don't as Rick points out get a tung oil that never dries.
Where did you post the link? I'd be interested to see that please.