Bolt-on Neck Pocket ... Half Body Depth?

fyb

Most neck pockets (like Fenders for example) seem to be 5/8" deep. Is this just because that's a convenient depth for 4/4 stock? Would there be any harm do you think in having a deeper neck pocket, say half the body thickness, such as 7/8" on a standard 1 3/4" body? I'm planning on bolt-on build where I'll use neck ferrules for mounting a maple neck to a mahogany body and I was thinking of doing a deeper pocket. Thanks guys!

Think about it: your primary concern is the height (and angle) of the fretboard above the body --the neck has to work with your choice bridge.

It doesn't matter how deep the neck fits into the body. All that counts is that the strings are at the proper height above the frets.

Fender does it that way because it's cheaper to use thinner neck blanks.

Because that's what's important - making it inexpensively, not making a better instrument.

But then, I see no disadvantage to the Fender neck pocket depth design.

What would a deeper neck pocket provide? Also, with a deeper neck pocket, the amount of body wood holding the neck is now less and with a sculpted heel, it might not be enough...

i think the transition looks a lot nicer with a bit more meat on the neck, not saying ot works better or anything like that... but yeah, be fully aware of how much wood you are leaving underneath. i think anything less than 1/2" would be too little but even that would be risking it - depends on wood and attachment type (i.e. true bolt on Vs screw in, or neckplate Vs ferrules)

Because that's what's important - making it inexpensively, not making a better instrument.

Leo Fender did some great things for guitar making. There's just no reason to have a thicker heel. I'm guessing he went through some trial and error before settling on this thickness. Who knows? Maybe a thicker heel is actual detrimental to the sound/sustain, feel?