Right Hand Callouses

Mickguard

I'm wondering...I like fingerpicking sometimes (especially nasty Junior Kimbrough-style blues), but I don't want to use fingerpicks--too much of a fuss and it's not the sound I want-- and I can't wear long fingernails, because they get in the way with the rest of life.

Besides, I like the thunking sound of plain fingertips. So I'm giving that a try.

So I'm wondering --do callouses ever form on the tips of your picking fingers?

Because right now I'm in pain...

Rub a body part long enough and you will surely form a callous eventually. A bit of trivia, Larry Fine, of 3 Stooges fame, had a callous on one side of his face from being slapped by Moe all the time. :D I had a friend who played his guitar "chickin pickin" style and he used his fingernails. He used superglue to fortify his nails and keep them from splitting.

Rub a body part long enough and you will surely form a callous eventually.

Well, we HAVE been married 15 years.... :D

I've tried various superglue/fake nails/fortifier tricks in the past, but I wasn't comfortable. And I spend a large part of the day typing, so having nails is annoyinig. Besides, like I said, I like that thunking sound the old blues guys got.