Butternut 8 String Bass

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B)

Thanks, Jason!

Actually, I did have a good birthday. Didn't really do much of anything, but I also didn't have a major depressive episode, like I usually do. I'm attributing that to the fact that I am also celebrating half a year of being alcohol free.

I never was a real big drinker, and don't have anything against drinking, but I finally realised it is not a good compliment to chronic depression. So, instead of several days of bleak despair, I had about an hour of moodiness and got right back on track after a good dose of chocolate. :D

Anyhow, I've been having a lot of fun with this bass. It's a lot more different than a 4 string than I had figured it would be. All my old bass lines don't sound right on it. It really demands a different approach. Hard to explain, but it's mostly in the timing.

My only regret is that I put the octave strings on the bottom. My thinking was that that would make fingerstyle playing easier, since I don't use a pick. But it makes it kinda tough to keep both strings fretted properly on the neck. The octave strings get muted if I don't really keep on them.

:D

That's too bad about the strings, org. I'd suggest switching the tuners around so you can put the strings in the other way, but that'd mean filling holes and putting a new veneer on the headstock. A decent amount of work...

Eh, things'll work themselves out. Happy belated! :D