Pot Values Low, Would It Work Better Tone Or Volume?

John Abbett

Hi all.

I have a set of 4 pots, three of them read at around 500 minus about 10 or 15, but one reads at 420. Assuming I don't want to send it back, because of the pain in the butt factor, would a pot that is low be better suited for a tone or volume position? I'm using HB Pickups. With .02 caps for the tone. Does it really matter?

What do you think?

-John

Hi all.

I have a set of 4 pots, three of them read at around 500 minus about 10 or 15, but one reads at 420. Assuming I don't want to send it back, because of the pain in the butt factor, would a pot that is low be better suited for a tone or volume position? I'm using HB Pickups. With .02 caps for the tone. Does it really matter?

What do you think?

-John

i really dont think it would matter. but if you are that concerned about it, i would use the highest as a tone.

Hi all.

What do you think?

-John

I doubt it matters. You could try it in both positions and see if you can hear a difference. I bet you won't be able to. If it really concerns you, I suppose it's probably better to use it as a tone pot. Many (most?) carbon pots are specified for +/- 20%. You're within that range, so I don't see any point in returning it. Even if the seller takes it back, you've got no guarantees that the next one will be any closer to 500k.