My First Neck Blank

The nice thing about the lines is it will help you see where the irregularities are in your back shape as you progress making it easier to correct. Nice work! I like the fact that you used those two darker laminates to match the top. Should all be nice in the end.

-Doug

Very nice.

You're gonna lose most of those thin lams on the outsides when you carve the neck profile.

It might be difficult to get the line between those and the maple strips next to them perfectly straight as you carve, too. You'll see every little variation.

Actually, the small strips of purpleheart haven't been cut to length. They're more part of the body than the neck. They'll stop at the body/neck transition. As you can tell by the gaps, I haven't glued them in.

I'm just trying to decide whether or not to use them... Not sure if they'll add or detract from the overall design. I hadn't originally planned on using them, but I think the two kinds of maple need something in between them.

That seems to be a pretty thick neck, is this a 7-string?

And yes, I'd keep the laminates in there, since they're going only to the neck/body join. It compliments the dark back wood and separates the front wood that is pretty similar in color and might blend together without the strip there.

Also, what about taking that belly carve in a bit more so you can see the line between the top and back woods more? Like this. I know his back laminates aren't as thick as yours, but you get the idea. Just a suggestion, mate.

That seems to be a pretty thick neck, is this a 7-string?

And yes, I'd keep the laminates in there, since they're going only to the neck/body join. It compliments the dark back wood and separates the front wood that is pretty similar in color and might blend together without the strip there.

Also, what about taking that belly carve in a bit more so you can see the line between the top and back woods more? Like this. I know his back laminates aren't as thick as yours, but you get the idea. Just a suggestion, mate.

The purpleheart strips are probably making it look wider. It's only 2 3/4" wide, an eighth wider than the 5-string I'm basing my neck dimensions off of.

I had thought about taking more off the belly carve. No one's ever said anything about it, so I just decided to leave it like that. I probably will change it now. If I do that, I'll probably do that to the elbow carve too.