Something Wrong With My Ovation Cc24

yeah, basically on my cc24 acoustic, the bridge rattles when I strum the guitar. Don't know how it started, or why, but it does it. If I rest my hand directly on top of the part of the bridge where the strings go in, then the rattling stops.

Anyone know how I could fix this? I'm gonna go head and guess that it might involve me taking off the bridge and re-gluing it.

yes, it was a cheap guitar. should have gotten something different.

could be anything..

-crappy saddle

-loose saddle

-brace (inside guitar) coming loose

good thing I would try:

while strings up to tension...

check bridge to see if it's coming unglued

then (if that's not the problem) loosen the strings until you can pull them off

wiggle the saddle and see if it moves

if not any of these..

could be (like I said) loose brace.. I'm pretty sure that ovation does the standard (or advanced) x-bracing patterns.. perhaps the bridge plate or any others could be coming loose...

you sure that the buzzing is coming from the saddle side of the guitar? how did you come to this conclusion?

Edited by scab

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Try tapping around on the top with no strings on, and make sure it's not your tuners.

Waaay late response, but it's not the tuners. It's easy to hear that it's coming from the bridge whenever i try to play the thing. So for now, i've just loosened the strings while it's not in use for a long time... because it's pointless to keep it in tune if it's not going to be played.

Is the bridge itself secure? I know on some guitars (I'm not sure if ovation falls in this category) the bridge was actually held on with a nut and bolt on each side of the bridge(and maybe glue as well). The head of the bolt was often hidden under an inlay. If this is the case you may have a loose bolt that is rattling. Or I may have no clue...just another possibility.

Is the bridge itself secure? I know on some guitars (I'm not sure if ovation falls in this category) the bridge was actually held on with a nut and bolt on each side of the bridge(and maybe glue as well). The head of the bolt was often hidden under an inlay. If this is the case you may have a loose bolt that is rattling. Or I may have no clue...just another possibility.

Well, there are two inlays that are on the bridge. Hm... you may be on to something here. :D

any way that I could check this out without destroying the bridge? haha

EDIT: yeah, took off all the strings and felt around in the soundhole. Found two bolts right under the bridge. I'm guessing this is the problem that you've described.

Edited by Guerrilla Radio

Cool, You should be able to reach up in there and feel for the nuts. If they are loose do what you have to do tighten them up.

Yeah, I tried twisting them with my hand, but that didn't work out. Wouldn't there be some kind of nut under the MOP inlay to keep the bolt.. inside the bridge? lol.

Because I was thinking that's what i'd have to turn.

Any idea how I could turn the things without having to take out the inlays? because that's pretty much impossible lol.

That could be a tough one. If the head of the bolt is spinning under the inlay, I'm not sure how you fix it. you may have to carefully drill or dremel out the inlay. Then you could tighten the bolt ( then use some loctite or super glue on the threads to keep it from coming loose again) and put in a new inlay. I know this sounds like a huge job...but it might not be that bad.

That could be a tough one. If the head of the bolt is spinning under the inlay, I'm not sure how you fix it. you may have to carefully drill or dremel out the inlay. Then you could tighten the bolt ( then use some loctite or super glue on the threads to keep it from coming loose again) and put in a new inlay. I know this sounds like a huge job...but it might not be that bad.

Lol. sounds like a job for another day. But i'll keep it in mind haha. I've got none of the tools to do that kind of stuff.

I am not sure if a loose nut and bolt is the problem (may very well be). One thing that could possibly cause the problem you are encountering is the string breaking over the saddle at a bad angle. If the string breaks over the saddle and floats over the back of the saddle instead of rolling snuggly over the back of the saddle. You can get a nasty sounding buzz. A minor adjustment to the shape of the saddle will correct that, and if you rest your palm over the back of the saddle it also mutes the effect(which I believe is what you mentioned you found to be the case). Also be sure the ball ends are seating well, you shuld be able to pull the pins when tuned to pitch and the strings should stay put just fine. If the ball ends have worn the bridge plate they will start slipping and wedge and bind between the bridge and pin. Just a couple extra items to consider.

Peace,Rich