How To "age"/"yellow" Repaired Binding

djhollowman

rub some rusty nails on it?

or like a dirty rag, maybe before, make a couple of passes with some low grit paper to give some scratches for the dirt to sit? maybe?

you should try mitreing those together and melting with acetone; it wont do much for colour but the transition would be smoother; and i see its at the body join which would make it harder but yu'know,

Yeah that acetone trick works wonders, you'd be amazed at how invisible you can get joints this way. Thats actually how I glue my binding on as well, just using melted binding as my glue. Anyhow, for the color match, read around over at Frets.com, there isn't any article specifically about yellowing the binding, but in one of the articles about loose binding, it talks about how to age and yellow the binding to match existing color. Its basically just done by tinting with some amber lacquer I believe I believe. I can't recall the exact method offhand, but it seems to work out really well. The same article goes over how to use some acetone for jointing the binding as well. Lots of good info there, check it out. J

Another good trick for amber-ing lacquer from Frank Ford - stick a sealed glass jar full of lacquer on your roof, or in your gutter, and let it sunbathe for a few weeks/months/years. The UV will age the lacquer and leave you with nice amber lacquer which will age at the same speed as the original nitro, rather than getting too dark like amber dyed lacquer.

Yeah that acetone trick works wonders, you'd be amazed at how invisible you can get joints this way. Thats actually how I glue my binding on as well, just using melted binding as my glue. Anyhow, for the color match, read around over at Frets.com, there isn't any article specifically about yellowing the binding, but in one of the articles about loose binding, it talks about how to age and yellow the binding to match existing color. Its basically just done by tinting with some amber lacquer I believe I believe. I can't recall the exact method offhand, but it seems to work out really well. The same article goes over how to use some acetone for jointing the binding as well. Lots of good info there, check it out. J

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I found the link you mention here:

http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Techni...luebinding.html

Very good info, exactly what I need!

Another good trick for amber-ing lacquer from Frank Ford - stick a sealed glass jar full of lacquer on your roof, or in your gutter, and let it sunbathe for a few weeks/months/years. The UV will age the lacquer and leave you with nice amber lacquer which will age at the same speed as the original nitro, rather than getting too dark like amber dyed lacquer.

That same sun-aged trick is mentioned on the above linked page as well! Cool!

Thanks,

DJ