Check Out My Router Score!

jer7440

I just scored a killer deal on a Bosch router kit last night! This is the router:

Bosch router kit

My buddy just started working in the R & D department of a company that designs and manufactures power tools for various companies. As part of the R & D process they buy competing products so they can check them out. Once a year they have a sale to get rid of all of these "R & D" products that they don't need anymore. My buddy calls me up yesterday and says "Hey, we're having this sale, do you need anything?". I ask him what they have and he starts going on about circular saws and cordless drills, so I say "Do you have any routers?". He says "Yeah there are a few low end Craftsman, something from Black and Decker, a set from Bosch, one from Porter Cable..." I said "How much for the Bosch set?" "97$"he says. SOLD!

I'm not sure what they did with this router as far as R&D goes...but this thing has never been touched. All the parts were still sealed in plastic bags and everything. I did one test cut last night and this thing cuts like a dream. It is soooo much nicer than the 1970's craftsman that I had been using.

Wow, what a deal!!! I recently went looking around for a router and read up on really all the ones that would work well for what we do and honestly I couldn't decide they all were great products. What initially sparked my interest was the new PC line, but honestly that router had the most negative feedback of all the ones I looked at. The Bosch seemed to be one of the better ones, I think the only major complaint was the alignment being off, meaning the cutter is not center. I believe you can buy the centering piece from the company or place that sells their stuff, some routers come with this tool like the Hitachi I believe. It allows you to align it. Like I said I think that was the only major concern with those and the nice thing is that it is a perfectly fixable problem for next to nothing.

I just wanted to mention that so you don't end having some imperfect cuts at some point and wonder what the heck is wrong, luthier work requires so much precision that this would be something that needs fixing if yours has the problem. It sounded like a fairly common problem, so I would definitely look into it, but you never know. Also, I can't remember off hand which brand didn't use a sealed switch, if the bosch doesn't you could always change that or just replace it when it gets mucked up. Anyhow, I really liked that router, it was pretty much at the top of my list after reading up on all of them and for that price you got, heck I might have bought a 2 or 3 of them if possible. Sell one or two or have a backup or one permanently mounted to a table. Well, nice come up, I'm entirely jealous, lol. J

That's the one I have. I use it constantly. You'll love it.

The power switch on mine has recently been getting a little stubborn (after several years), but it's easily replaced if necessary. (I just removed it and put it back in and it started working again somehow.)

Hey Rick500, I've read online that the switch is not sealed and it will fill up with dust. The dust interferes with the contacts. I've read that a lot of times you can fix the problem with a blast of compressed air. Another review I read said that the switch is easily disassembled for cleaning.

Jmrentis, This was the only one they had for sale. I have read about a the few problems this router may have....they all seemed pretty insignificant for the price I paid. :D :D B)

Hehe, even that is a great price for that setup, I still would have snatched it up in a heart beat. It's nice when you get a setup where the plunge and fixed bases are interchangable, especially in such a good brand. You should tell him to look out for a thickness sander next, lol. J

The problem with the centering is in relation to the base of the router, no? In that case, if you're using bearing guided bits with a template, or a router table for a straight edge, it's not really an issue - it's only if you're relying on the edge base for distance from the cutter, or using a collar for template cutting that you may have an issue - in these cases you should be measuring before you cut, and using only the straight side of the base if your riding the body of the router against a straight edge, and most collar sets come with a centering tool as it is.

Of course, I could be misunderstanding.

.j

As you mentioned its not really a problem for most applications, only few. I don't believe the package comes with the guide to center the cutter in the base, but I could be wrong, from what I found and read it had to be purchased from the company, unless this has changed. Either ways its an easy fix. I just wanted to bring it up as it seemed to come up a few times when I did my research and its an easy fix if it is indeed off center. I'm somewhat picky and strange about my tools, so even if its unlikely it will cause problems, I'll still want to fix it. I have a hitachi that came with the little guide. You loosen some hardware push the tool into the chuck and the base of the tool fits snuggly into the base of the router and a quick tightening of the hardware and you're set.

Anyhow, I believe you have it right. It really is a great setup and that little chance occurence is nearly inconsequential. I think the main complaint is there was no tool included to make this adjustment, but it can be bought for cheap I'm sure. I don't know how many brands sell this tool with their router, but with these swapable bases they should always be included I think. I'm not sure off hand, but the fixed base on the bosch package might be round with no flat edge, using it like this with against a straight edge could cause for some slight variation in the cut if it was off center. Again, its no biggie really, but worth a check if you use it in certain ways. J

The centering tool is not included. The fixed base is round; the plunge base has a flat side.

I just about always have mine in the router table or in the plunge base, so it's been no problem for me.

This is what I have planned as well....well...when I get to building myself a router table..