Where To Buy Magnets For Pickup Winding

fookgub

I'm looking for magnets for Jazz and Musicman style bass pickups. They are, from what I have gathered, 3/16" (4.8mm) and 3/8" (9.5mm) in diameter respectively. Not 100% sure about the lengths yet, but I think 7/8" would work. AlNiCo 5 is the material. Stewmac and other guitar parts suppliers sell Strat magnets (.195"/5mm), but I haven't been able to find any magnets in the sizes I want.

I had a look at the suppliers list at the pickup makers forum, and I also looked around ThomasNet for a while. Seems like everyone that might be able to provide what I'm looking for is oriented towards commercial sales/industrial supply. I haven't RFQ'd any of these guys yet, but that's the vibe I get from poking around their websites. I'm looking to build about a half dozen pickups on this first go-around. Are there any places where I can buy these odd-sized magnets in small quantities without paying a fortune?

On a side note: I see that some suppliers offer alnico rods cut to length, but most just offer them in about ~6" lengths. What would be the procedure for cutting my own rods to length? Abrasive cutoff wheel? Hacksaw? Do I need to worry about heat ruining the magnets?

I'm not sure you have the right dimensions for the jazz bass. According to Jason Lollar they should be 0.186 in diameter and slightly longer that 0.686. I would use the stewmac # 5958 for this. I know that I have seen Music man style magnets somewere but I just can't find the link. Sorry.

I'm not sure you have the right dimensions for the jazz bass. According to Jason Lollar they should be 0.186 in diameter and slightly longer that 0.686. I would use the stewmac # 5958 for this. I know that I have seen Music man style magnets somewere but I just can't find the link. Sorry.

Thanks for the info. Did you pull that from Lollar's book? I've read a bunch of conflicting info on the net about polepiece length. I trust Lollar more than most, but I'm still considering renting a jazz bass and measuring the pickups for myself. I would like to get the magnet diameter right, though. The strat polepieces will work in a pinch, but you can tell the the jazz bass has narrower ones.

Anyway, do you buy your magnets in bulk? What can I expect in terms of pricing and minimum order if I go with a commercial supplier? A big reason for making my own pickups is that I need odd spacings, and I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for custom pickups. I was thinking about sending an RFQ to Magnetic Hold (http://www.magnetichold.net/) and Master Magnetics (http://www.magnetsource.com/). Have you ever dealt with either of these guys?

Edited by fookgub

That's from the Lollar book. According to that the measurement of the bobbin heath was 0.686 with enough magnet length left to stick up through the pickup cover to be flush with the surface. I figure 0.022" would be a reasonable thickness for the pickup cover. And it makes sense as Leo was keen on saving money by using the same part for different applications and so on. If he could use the longest magnets from the strat pickup in the jazz pickup it would definitely mean money saved.

If you would like to, I could make a quick CAD (PDF) of the jazz pup from that book (that is pre definition not like copying copy protected material) and other jazz pups. I have no problem doing so as Jason have let that book go out of print and he has no intentions to make a reprint.

I don’t really buy in bulk. I get most of my stuff from Steven Kersting. Half decent prices if you order for more than 300$. Example one 0.656 tall A5 rod, retail price SK .85$, bulk SK .35, Stewmac 2.68$!!! A5 bar magnet SK retail 4$, SK bulk 2$ Stewmac 6.40$!!! But I don’t like his HB bobbins. They do not fit my current standard. Have to find another place to get those.

That's from the Lollar book. According to that the measurement of the bobbin heath was 0.686 with enough magnet length left to stick up through the pickup cover to be flush with the surface. I figure 0.022" would be a reasonable thickness for the pickup cover. And it makes sense as Leo was keen on saving money by using the same part for different applications and so on. If he could use the longest magnets from the strat pickup in the jazz pickup it would definitely mean money saved.

If you would like to, I could make a quick CAD (PDF) of the jazz pup from that book (that is pre definition not like copying copy protected material) and other jazz pups. I have no problem doing so as Jason have let that book go out of print and he has no intentions to make a reprint.

I don’t really buy in bulk. I get most of my stuff from Steven Kersting. Half decent prices if you order for more than 300$. Example one 0.656 tall A5 rod, retail price SK .85$, bulk SK .35, Stewmac 2.68$!!! A5 bar magnet SK retail 4$, SK bulk 2$ Stewmac 6.40$!!! But I don’t like his HB bobbins. They do not fit my current standard. Have to find another place to get those.

A PDF would be great, if you don't mind. How could I get a hold of Steven Kersting? Is $300 his minimum order? That's a whole lot of magnets!

Oups. sorry...

http://www.skguitar.com/components.htm

Yeah it is a lot of magnets. But he has half decent prices even if you do not buy in bulk. I sould have said his prices were a bit better than half decent when buyin in bulk. I usually start out with what I need right now (bobbins, different magnets, base plates etc) and add up to the 300$. You get a lot of stuff extra that way...

You can also try GuitarJones, but he is nearly inpossible to get stuff from if you do not place large orders, GuitarPartsUSA have some pickup parts and Allparts have a lot, even if they do no list them in the catalog.

I did the CAD last night. PM me youre e-mail address and I will send it to you tonigh. BTW, that offer is open to anyone here.