Benchtop Tools

riffster

I am making a guitar at a friends of my familys house. I am shadowing him and am learning a lot while I get a hands on experience. I want to get some of my own toys. I am 20 so I can't consider purchasing a delta 14" bandsaw or a really nifty drill press. What are your thoughts on a benchtop drill press? Should I avoid benchtop bandsaws? Could a scroll saw be used instead of a benchtop bandsaw? Since I can't get a planer, could a safety planer be used effectively on a benchtop drill press? I am new to this realm, so any comments would be great!

Thanks!

Boy there are just so many tools that are effective, it is really tuff to pick and choose especially when size matters :D . A larger drill press would allow more effective use, at least if you want to use all sorts of work around gadgets (sanding drums, safety planers, circle cutters, and such). Heavier duty allows for some of the added demands on the chuck, and you can get larger pieces under a larger machine to do the work, also a better table allows for better support of jigs you make and accuracy. Bandsaw, very much the same deal. Larger has more capacity, general stability, clearance for the work piece, heavier table for jigs, overall stability in settings is generally much improved.

Probably the most effective power tool to start with is a router. You can use it along with different jigs you can make for a reasonable price and some elbow grease, to get a LOT of effective accurate use. That would be my first power tool of choice, and I would make sure it is a good one.

I have a scroll saw (too me it is limited and is almost completely replace by my bandsaws). If need be a hand held jig saw (purchased for $5 at a garage sale would be a better place holder (without wasting cash) until you can pick up a decent 14" bandsaw(or bigger).

You can work with templates and guide blocks in conjunction with an inexpensive hand drill, until you are able to pick up a decent floor model drill press. Hand planes can take the place of a jointer, but down the road a jointer is nice to have. A long oscillating drum sander with a good table is a great tool, but you have options that can take its place before picking one up, such as sanding drums in the drill press, long sanding blocks, hand planes and so forth. Tools like wide drum sanders are awsome, and effective, but before you save up cash for one, other tools and jigs can take its place.

Try to buy your transitional tools at reasonable prices, avoid too many baby steps in buying the really useful tools (save up and get a fully effective model). Buy used, refurbished and from second hand stores or garage sales if you can find a solid tool that is the right one.

Peace,Rich

Thanks. I do have a router and a hand drill, but would it be ok if I just bought a descent benchtop drill press now and a good benchtop bandsaw now. Later I know for sure I am going to get much larger and better tools. But I just want to get by for now. Is that strategy ok? I have accumulated a couple of good hand planes of diffrent sizes and I do have a jigsaw at my disposal. I just lack the big toys. So going for a bechtop version of stuff now is ok? right?

I have a Ryobi 10" benchtop drill press.

It's better than not having one, but I wish I'd put together a couple hundred more dollars and bought something better.

It does the job, but I have to block the table from flexing every time I use it, and it's starting to annoy me.

Thanks. I do have a router and a hand drill, but would it be ok if I just bought a descent benchtop drill press now and a good benchtop bandsaw now. Later I know for sure I am going to get much larger and better tools. But I just want to get by for now. Is that strategy ok? I have accumulated a couple of good hand planes of diffrent sizes and I do have a jigsaw at my disposal. I just lack the big toys. So going for a bechtop version of stuff now is ok? right?

You certainly can buy any tool you would like to (these are personal choices).

I wanted to impart the concept, that many people get caught up in buying several sized down(less functional) tools thinking that if they pick up some kind of each they will get allmost all the functionality. This is not the case with most tools. Often they will be limited functionally, and not have the accuracy or allow you to use additional jigs that you can make for larger models.

The biggest downside to spending money on several sized down tools, is that it makes it tuffer to buy a decent tool. Instead of buying three semi functional tools, buy one that is the full meal deal and build jigs for it using it to its full potential. Then use basic jigs and much less expensive tools for the tasks the other two semi functional tools would have been used for. If you can find that larger full meal deal tool used, but in good working condition(spending MUCH less for it). That will allow you to save up for the next large tool quicker.

A lot of people take baby steps in buying tools. Buy a 9, 10 or 12" bandsaw(when that frustrates them), then move to a cheap 14"(fight with it), then finally figure out what the tool is capable of doing and buy into a better quality 14" or larger that opens up the potential of the tool. Personally, I have a 14" bandsaw that is hopped up, and I have an 18" bandsaw. The 18" rocks, but my 14" has just about all the functionality as the 18" so I use it all the time(the 18" is more capable if you are moving a lot of material or very large stock, which doesn't make much difference for building guitars). 9", 10", 12" and basic 14" are poor investments in my opinion. That is probably not what you want to hear, but I believe it to be true.

I have a 16" drill press and it works slick. I purchased a benchtop figuring it would be easy to use for simple tasks and maybe I wouldn't have to change common bits I use for certain tasks. It flat out sucked. The table was not set well or stable, basically it wouldn't drill a true hole(close but you never really knew), and it had very little room to position parts so I would up fighting odd angles. I sold it on a yard sale for $30 and have never missed it. I picked up a sears scroll saw(bench top) at a yard sale for $50, worked fine, pretty useless, sold it at a yardsale for $35 (I still have an old Delta scroll saw-floor model, but it gets little use either). I have a 4" jointer, and a 6" jointer, both are good useful tools (I use them both, one or softwood only). The list could go on...

Peace,Rich

Since I work in such a limited space (1/2 of a 2 car garage), I went with a Shopsmith Mk 5. While it's not the best at any one thing, it is definitely good enough for a lot of projects. Between that, a $250 garage-sale Craftsman 14" bandsaw, and a Porter-Cable router, I've pretty much got all of my bases covered. If you're on a budget (both $$$ and space-wise), check it out.

As far as a drill press, like has already been said, the bigger ones are better and more useful. Someone else mentioned it, but I'll mention it again, if you can find used tools it can be a good investment, you just have to check to make sure they are in good condition. I got a 15" drill press I think it is, used from a pawn shop, it's about half size of a floor model but much bigger than the normal benchtop. It's also only a five speed so it doesn't have a laser or anything fancy, just a light, which can come in handy later at night. I got it for 80 bucks, that's cheaper than a lot of smaller benchtop drillpresses. The chuck is perfectly straight and whatnot, no rust or anything on it. Anyway, if you're lookin' for stuff check out pawn shops and the like, you might be surprised what you can find. :D

There you go. These guys are giving you great examples of how to find good tools and still manage to work within your budget. Take note of how many small versions of these tools find there way to the craigs lists and such (people wind up dumping them when they upgrade). I would take a 20 year old larger bandsaw in fair shape for $200 over a brand new 10" for the same price anyday.

Peace,Rich

What I am going to do is go used. I need to hold off till the basement is organized. I am going to search for a good used 14 inch bandsaw or bigger. I don't care how old it is as long as it performs well. I am also going to search for a used standing drill press so I can use a safety planer. Those planers are great! I know I will need to use a table saw, but that will have to come later. I know a guy that I can call that he'll let me cut wood and run if I had to. It will probably be a while before I can have the basement organized though. I am sooo desperate to spend my tax return.