27" Scale, Set Neck Hollow

That is a really nice looking guitar, you do beautiful work :D . I wonder if Jim has seen this thread, he is a member of this forum, and I bet he would be flattered that you liked his Swan enough to build with it in mind. Any chance you live in the Portland area? I haven't been in touch with him for a while, but he is in this neck of the woods. Maybe you could contact him and try out one of his Swans, and maybe even let him look over your handy work.

Peace,Rich

I did email Jim and inquire about using a 27" inch scale....didn't want to step on any toes, so to speak. I guess you can't patent/copyright scale lengths...as apparently there are several 27 scale baritone guitars out there, or so I have learned. I live in the Bay Area, Ca. now. I'd love to move to the Portland area after school :D

Hopefully I'll own a Swan one day....when I get a real job!

So how should I STAIN this sucker??? Maybe I shouldn't stain it, and just put Tru-oil all over it! I wish I had a spray booth....

Uncolored wood just looks like furniture. In my opinion.

Except for maple, that holds up well without the stain. I believe that mahogany should always be red. Or black (but you have that contrast line, so that's out).

Except you're completely wrongheaded in this case :-P

Most mahogany furniture I've seen is stained red or darker brown than it is, to the point most people don't know what mahogany's supposed to look like, and respond with 'but that's way too light coloured'! when they see a piece finished naturally. Mahogany has an incredibly rich, deep look when finished naturally which is IMO ruined almost entirely by staining it gibson-style burgundy. The chatoyance is simply lost.

Then again, I'm a wood junkie, and while I enjoy some stain from time to time, I'm more than happy to just go with natural wood tones to create my colour palette. Except for maple, which can be so white it's the perfect base on which to build colours and stains. IMO, a mahogany guitar with a stained maple cap should keep the natural finish maple body.

This guitar? Leave natural. At the very most accent the colour with a bit of stain and sandback, if you must, or amber tinted shellac.

beautiful work. I'd vote to keep it natural as well, although a bit of amber on the maple (like a vintage neck, but not the over-the-top orange look) could be nice.

simply stunning, really.

Virtully any given color of dye/stain wouldn't be a bad thing on the top - like a nice vibrant blue or something. I'm with the "natural" camp for the rest of the body & neck. In most cases, if you're going for a natural look, the natural tone of the wood is nice enough that you don't need to do anything with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful was the first word that came to mind when I saw those pics too... looks great!

• 11 months later...