Bad Ass Bridge Location

i'm making a 25" scale guitar and i'm at the point of drilling for the bridge bushings.

i have just acquired a Leo Quan "BADASS" wraparound bridge..

does anyone know if i locate this same as a normal wraparound bridge (according to stew-mac's website)

Below is from stew-macs website for Tun-a-matic wraparound styles.

25.061" (±0.030") from nut to center of treble-side post. Mount bass-side post 1/16"-1/8" further from the nut.

thanks!

matt

madhattr88@yahoo.com

I'm not sure if I follow you, but the generally touted rule is to set all your bridge's saddles forward (in the direction of the nut) and work out the location as double the length from the nut breakoff point to the 12th fret, to the saddle breakoff. You may find the bridge will need compensating 1/16" or so away from the nut on the low string side, same as tune-o-matic bridges tend to be marginally slanted on LPs and other similar setups.

Oh, I just realised the last sentence was what you said in green up there. I agree.

I'm not sure if I follow you, but the generally touted rule is to set all your bridge's saddles forward (in the direction of the nut) and work out the location as double the length from the nut breakoff point to the 12th fret, to the saddle breakoff. You may find the bridge will need compensating 1/16" or so away from the nut on the low string side, same as tune-o-matic bridges tend to be marginally slanted on LPs and other similar setups.

Oh, I just realised the last sentence was what you said in green up there. I agree.

I'm actually looking to see if the post location follows the stew mac instructions

25.061" (±0.030") from nut to center of treble-side post. Mount bass-side post 1/16"-1/8" further from the nut.

There's a major difference between a Tuneamatic and a wraparound -- Tuneamatics cannot be adjusted forward or backward, like a wraparound (and the Badass) can. That's why you set the Tuneamatic's posts at an angle.

There's no need to angle the posts on a wraparound/Badass, since you have those post adjustment screws (in addition to the saddle adjusters). Of course, you can, if you like, but there's no need.

Instead, set the post adjustment screws to allow a bit of play forward, but plenty of play to move backward. You basically want the saddle of the High E to be exactly at the scale length--so you'll set your posts according to that.

You'll have some forward play for the treble side if you need it, both from the post adjusters and from the saddle adjusters. But if you measure accurately, you won't need any play --that's mostly necessary for factory built guitars!

Then you'll be able to adjust the Badass backward on the bass side to get that string in tune. Then adjust the saddles to get your intonation correct.

There's a major difference between a Tuneamatic and a wraparound -- Tuneamatics cannot be adjusted forward or backward, like a wraparound (and the Badass) can. That's why you set the Tuneamatic's posts at an angle.

There's no need to angle the posts on a wraparound/Badass, since you have those post adjustment screws (in addition to the saddle adjusters). Of course, you can, if you like, but there's no need.

Instead, set the post adjustment screws to allow a bit of play forward, but plenty of play to move backward. You basically want the saddle of the High E to be exactly at the scale length--so you'll set your posts according to that.

You'll have some forward play for the treble side if you need it, both from the post adjusters and from the saddle adjusters. But if you measure accurately, you won't need any play --that's mostly necessary for factory built guitars!

Then you'll be able to adjust the Badass backward on the bass side to get that string in tune. Then adjust the saddles to get your intonation correct.

thanks! that's exactly what i was looking for.