Custom Guitar Build Log

...if you want to try a different finish, give 'Tru Oil' a shot. You can buy it in small quantities, it's fairly cheap, super easy to apply, builds quickly, and can be made to be satin or gloss. Good luck! :D

So what differences would there be between Tru Oil and Tung Oil?

Tru oil is a polymerized linseed oil with other additives for faster drying. I've heard it called an "oil borne varnish". Tung oil is a very slow drying natural oil that does not build like tru oil. There are also 'tung oil finishes', which are not straight tung oil. However, overall tru oil is the most popular choice here for oil finishes.

Tru oil is a polymerized linseed oil with other additives for faster drying. I've heard it called an "oil borne varnish". Tung oil is a very slow drying natural oil that does not build like tru oil. There are also 'tung oil finishes', which are not straight tung oil. However, overall tru oil is the most popular choice here for oil finishes.

So in addition to drying quicker, is tru oil more protective since it does build up faster? Also, I'll have to look at what my school has for tung oil (I've been using theirs for the sample pieces). It seems to be filling the pores quite nicely, and it dries overnight enough to allow me to sand it smooth the next morning. Maybe they have the 'tung oil finish'.

I'll see what I can find for tru oil availability in my area.

guitar's looking good but you're not suppose the lick the dust!

Yeah, I know.... dang allergies.... can't breath through my nose this time of the year, and the dust only makes it worse.

Well, today I got the cavity cover to fit and I started on rounding the neck out, however, my camera decided to crap out on me, so I'll need to beg, borrow, or steal one from now on to get pictures. I've got a couple pictures coming, but I won't be able to post them until tonight.