What To Use To Dye Epoxy

hi guys, im looking to do an inlay on a fretboard using died epoxy to get a red inlay into a rosewood fretboard. what would you guys suggest i use to dye the epoxy, and where would you usually get it? i assume its some tye of powder from what ive read, but i couldnt find any more info other than that when i tried searching.

thanks

I've never done this for a guitar but I've fixed a sailing boats gel coat which is just coloured epoxy and your local chandlers would have that possibly or could order it in for you.

Someone else will know of something else no doubt but it's worth consideration!

is chandlers a marine/boat supplies place of some sort?

not "Chandlers" A chandlers is any marine/boat supplies place just like you know what to expect from a butcher B):D here endeth the lesson :D

i'm sure there are other ways of dying it i just thought that it might be an idea possible not explored anywhere on here.

Edited by joshvegas

is chandlers a marine/boat supplies place of some sort?

not "Chandlers" A chandlers is any marine/boat supplies place just like you know what to expect from a butcher B):D here endeth the lesson :D

i'm sure there are other ways of dying it i just thought that it might be an idea possible not explored anywhere on here.

i feel silly, oh well, you learn something everyday. thanks for the response

I was thinking about this the other day. I have fretboard Dye from Stu Mac. I was wondering if I could add that, or if it would reduce the holding ability? That Black Dye is potent stuff. A little goes a LONG way. It takes just a dab to blacken an entire fingerboard. I don't imagine it would take much. I was thinking about adding a touch to my glue also, to make the glue line match the black walnut wood I'm using. Before you say there shouldn't be a glue line, please remember some of us are not perfect, and skills vary.

-John

http://www.epoxy-resins.co.uk/Shop/pigment.html

did a wee search this sort of stuff is what i mean although i'm not sure you'd need 2.5 kilos (you can probably get repair packs somewhere thats enough for a small boat!) for one fretboard. you may have to go into mass production!

I don't know about alterning the strength with other substances but you won't with this stuff.

thanks guys, i seem to have found a page with a few tips. using the term pigment made the results from the search more sueful. heres a link for anyone interested.

http://www.sydneywoodturners.com.au/site/a...ques/epoxy.html

apparently coloured chalk and fabric dyes can work well (their the ones that caught my eye, ther are others). i will give them a try. has me thinking about making some swirl patterns by making 2 seperate mixes of different colours, then swirling them together a bit. ill probably just stick to using the epoxy normally, but may make a few test pieces.