How Do Keep Your Wood?

Vinny

Hello Everyone, Im looking for suggestions on how to better organize/store my wood, Ive come down with a bad case of incurable WAS (wood aquirement syndrome) and I gotta come up with some type of wall shelfs or under the bench solution because it's slowly taking over the shop floor space. Can you share your layout here and maybe include a pic if it helps to better show the way your maintaining a workspace but are able to store the needed lumber. I think the longest board I would need is 36'' to make archtop sides, so I plan on cutting down a lot of bigger boards into managable sizes. Thanks for helping, -Vinny

P1010587.jpg

I have exposed wall studs on one wall of my shop. I cut some 18" 2x4's and gusseted them to the wall studs. Works well and used up some scrap 2 x 4 and junk plywood I had laying around. Of course it gets cluttered just like everything else, the board you need is always on the bottom of a shelf, and it messes up the rest of the wood on that shelf. No good solution.

I did 10 ft long and 4 shelves. It holds a LOT of stuff.

Just like the rest of us, I have stuff under the work bench, behind the dust collector, in all the corners, everywhere. Now that I have shelf storage, I cleared floor space for more wood.

-John

Shelves are handy. Your method is not bad for long boards. After you cut wood, it should be stickered till dry(find a space where you can manage that). Dry wood can be stacked on shelves. Cut billets are easier to deal with, and fit on shelves better. I had a few pics uploaded so I will post some areas where I store wood.

DSCF0398.jpg

link

link

link

link

link

You can get 36" deep plastic shelves at Home Depot. They are very effective.

Peace,Rich

My work area is chronically disorganized. I think I need a twelve step program.

Didn't take two days after I built my big new workbench before all horizontal surfaces were covered. Not 30 minutes after I assembled my new drum sander, the shelf was full.

I have to go through once a week or so and put everything back in some kind of order... I need a new system, including a home for all the wood leaning against the walls.

My work area is chronically disorganized. I think I need a twelve step program.

Didn't take two days after I built my big new workbench before all horizontal surfaces were covered. Not 30 minutes after I assembled my new drum sander, the shelf was full.

I have to go through once a week or so and put everything back in some kind of order... I need a new system, including a home for all the wood leaning against the walls.

I hear you, I actually set up a seperate space for cutting, and an area for drying. The thought was all the billets that are on shelves in my shop would go to the cutting area, and all the boards leaning against the wall would be cut to blank form. Of course all the dry wood should in theory wind up on the storage shelves. The theory was flawed though. New shelves in the cutting area were filled before I could move anything out of the shop. Then the cutting area overflowed to stacking on the floor and about the room. It is about all I can do to cut enough wood to at least get everything on the cutting room shelves. The pics I posted were when the areas were pretty clear. My drying area is stacked 3 rows deep and 5' high with two fans driving air through the stacks. My cutting shelves are full of billets waiting for resaw (can't do that till I move the drying stock to make room). I have a 3' high pile of bracewood on the outfeed side of my drum sander, and violin/mandolin bolts and 5" thick Cocobolo stock on the infeed side. I can't get to my jointer because I have Black Limba, spalted Maple, Zircote, and Walnut Boards stacked against it waiting to make their way to the billet shelves. My storage shelves are pretty much maxed out on the soundboard, back and side, and solid body areas. I am goint to have to pull the neck blanks, compress the fretboards and bridges, and probably relocate the solid body blanks and most of the neck stock to be able to squeeze most of the drying stock into the shelves. I am thinking I need to aquire some new shelves for long term parking. I have this massive load of offcuts(mostly tossed in boxes if it looks usable for something, but the boxes are due to go somewhere else.).

Peace,Rich

I keep boards (big-ish, but few longer than 2 meters) on shelves, or racked on those modular shelving units every hardware store sells. Works perfectly fine. I don't cut down all the blanks into billets because I don't necessarily know what I want to make with all the wood, or how I want to make it. The boards live outside, in the shed, without temp or humidity control, basically sitting there air drying further. Looks sort of like this:

Mahogany, limba, cedrella, bubinga under the bench:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvalente/guitarpics6...p/shop_out5.jpg

Limba outside, in the rough:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvalente/guitarpics6...p/shop_out2.jpg

Racked stuff above the bandsaw. Note: do not store stuff on top of your bandsaw like this. This was from before I got my variable speed drive, so the bandsaw was not operational at the time:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvalente/guitarpics6...p/shop_out4.jpg

Once cut into rough guitar-sized pieces, or into sets, they go indoors, first stickered for at least 6 months, then simply stacked one on top of the other; don't have the space to keep all that guitar wood stacked up. Inside storage, for me, is in the attic, in some under-the-roof cupboards that can be closed off. This is enough wood (back/sides, not necks) for 70 acoustic guitars, carved top billets for about 12 electrics, several 'fancy' neck blanks (cocobolo) and some to-be-resawn billets. Stacked, not stickered, as the sets had all been stickered for at least 1 year, some more than 3 years:

Top to bottom: fingerboards, bridge blanks, back sets, side sets, assorted blanks (cuban mahogany, claro walnut). Note the digital hygrometer.

shop_clean3.jpg

Top to bottom: spruce, WRC and redwood tops, archtop wedges, below: flamed and quilted maples, assorted neck blanks. Also features a moisture trap to lower the humidity that little bit extra, although it's not strictly necessary:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvalente/guitarpics6...shop_clean4.jpg

Bracewood and assorted body blank sized hunks of limba are hiding here in a giant pile:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvalente/guitarpics6...shop_clean5.jpg

The next cupboard over (no pics) has a stack of 2-piece Sapele acoustic guitar neck blanks, rough-cut in sizes that will accomodate (scarf jointed) 14 fret, 12 fret necks and even longer baritone necks if need be, and there's a reasonable amount of space for more. I'll be reorganising a little soon, though, as I'll have a little more space.

Thanks for helping, I'll go with a combination of a lot of what you guys mentioned, wall shelves and under table storage and leave a few boards long to use as actual shelfs. A few of the long raw boards have knots and I need to get them cut down to whats usable. I plan on pulling everything out of the garage and ripping/planing the raw pieces down to good stock. It should take up less room and get it better organized. Wait, then I'll have room to get more wood....... he he (W.A.S. evil laugh) -Vinny

Update: I went to Home Depot last night and purchased a bunch of slotted wall tracks and slip-in type shelf brackets. They had nice heavy duty twin wall brackets that look very sturdy. I plan on having it assembled over the weekend. I'll put up some pics.