Ebony Accent Lines

Hey I just wondered if any one had any pics of a all natural guitar with contrasting accent lines.

For example,

I was thinking of a build with some wood I've got

Flame ash body, birds eye maple top, birds eye neck (with some kinda lams I havent decided on), flame finger board, flame veneer on head stock.

and I was wondering what it would look like to veneer ebony between the body and the top, neck and fb, and between neck lams.

Could look quite nice? (I'm worried about it being to bright though, but thats another issue)

Hey I just wondered if any one had any pics of a all natural guitar with contrasting accent lines.

For example,

I was thinking of a build with some wood I've got

Flame ash body, birds eye maple top, birds eye neck (with some kinda lams I havent decided on), flame finger board, flame veneer on head stock.

and I was wondering what it would look like to veneer ebony between the body and the top, neck and fb, and between neck lams.

Could look quite nice? (I'm worried about it being to bright though, but thats another issue)

http://www.johnpageguitars.com/

Click on the "Price List" and "Gallery" tabs.

He's got them on the body and headtsock.

I think it looks reall classy. Of course, they're not ebony but some other balck stained wood.

Wow thanks guys, some of those guitars are really stunning!

On one of the John page guitars he had a black accent line under a flame maple head stock veneer, and what looks like a really intricate inlay (his signature) over the top of the flame maple.

Could you just cut through the veneer so that what you see as an inlay is just the black ebony behind it? and then build clear up so that its level. That would be really cool.

he means that he will route for the inlay but not actually inlay anything - if you do go that route it will be hard to fill the space with lacquer because it shrinks so much - better to fill it with clear epoxy before lacquering...

... but it would not be easy to do this at all- your inlay route would need to be spot on perfect for it to look and is hard to do in light woods like maple... practice first

Wow thanks guys, some of those guitars are really stunning!

On one of the John page guitars he had a black accent line under a flame maple head stock veneer, and what looks like a really intricate inlay (his signature) over the top of the flame maple.

Could you just cut through the veneer so that what you see as an inlay is just the black ebony behind it? and then build clear up so that its level. That would be really cool.

I would inlay with black epoxy. Building clear will take a long time and you'll see the maple edges inside. John's sig is not an inlay BTW.

black epoxy may bleed ever so slightly - on maple it could look really bad. you would need to seal the inlay cavity first.. but as guitar2005 suggests, you might be better off looking for another way such as a waterslide decal or similar

yeah, that would work fine - but to be honest you probably dont need to cut through with the laser as it will look pretty good just scorching the surface - like pyrograhy but far more accurate and neat... i dont pressume people have access to a laser cutter/engraver when they start talking about inlay

you might still want to consider the suggestion of black epoxy if you do cut through the maple - but you will want to do it after a sealer coat of your finish to prevent any bleeding

i guess johns is just a decal - not entirely sure what sort of decal though

pyrography is:

the art of decorating wood or other materials with burn marks resulting from the controlled application of a heated object such as a poker

when you use a laser on light coloured woods it scorches them like in pyrography - but its far more accurate

i tried it out a few years ago because i was showing someone how to make guitars and they had access to a laser cutter. we tried it on a few woods. the maple came up quite dark. we went with santos rosewood in the end

1791560603_28740aae55.jpg

Laser wood is badass :D

Where do you get such large pieces of veneer, Wez? I know I'm overseas, but still.

I'm intending to do an RG-styled semi-hollow sometime in the future, and wanted to put a veneer between the top/middle and bottom/middle of the body, but I haven't been able to find any pieces large enough. The RG body shape is roughly 460x320mm, according to the schematics I have.

^ would you not see a line if you joined peices together?

I also read on a website that some one used a big peice of black cardboard between the body and cap so make an ebony esque accent line (though much cheaper I imagine) How would cardboard react to glueing and sanding? I can imagine the edges fraying alot if you tried to sand it...

well personally i wouldnt want to use cardboard on a musical instrument so i cant say how that would work

you can sometimes see the join in pieces of maple veneer in an accent line but you can never see the dark wood joins