Reverse Forstner Bits?

I'm french, so I'll try to be as clear as possible;

Flushmount output jack needs at least 7/16" of wood, so the locking nut can secure the jack in place from inside the control cavity. What if you have, let's say, 1" of wood? The goal is to remove some thickness from inside the cavity. Pretty much impossible to do without making a mess. And that particular cavity is really small. I can't even get the drill chuck or a chisel in without touching the body... And the locking nut must be square against the cavity wall. So the hole must be drilled square.

Is there any bits or whatever, that drills on reverse? I mean, you get the drill shaft through the hole, put the drill on reverse and voila.

Unless there is another way to do it... What do you suggest?

Edited by MescaBug

You can make one yourself. Get the size you want and weld a piece of 5mm or 6mm rod onto the cutting end. Cut off the existing shaft if necessary Drill a hole through the wood put cutter through from inside guitar, chuck into drill and cut hole to depth required.

I'm french, so I'll try to be as clear as possible;

Flushmount output jack needs at least 7/16" of wood, so the locking nut can secure the jack in place from inside the control cavity. What if you have, let's say, 1" of wood? The goal is to remove some thickness from inside the cavity. Pretty much impossible to do without making a mess. And that particular cavity is really small. I can't even get the drill chuck or a chisel in without touching the body... And the locking nut must be square against the cavity wall. So the hole must be drilled square.

Is there any bits or whatever, that drills on reverse? I mean, you get the drill shaft through the hole, put the drill on reverse and voila.

Unless there is another way to do it... What do you suggest?

I believe you can just buy a longer jack and save yourself the cost of additional tooling

Longer jack reference link

I've always found Setchell's method of dealing with output jacks to be my favorite; uses a regular jack, but with a glued in bit of wood to retain the wood look. Avoids having to deal with barrel jacks, whilst still avoiding a jackplate.

Since my description doesn't make sense, see his original blog post on it here:

http://www.setchellguitars.co.uk/ant/blog/?page_id=22

Scroll to the bottom of the page and check the Jul 30 2004, 11:29 AM entry. Basically a large hole, then plugged with a glorified wooden "washer" to give a conventional jack something to screw onto.

Also, if the jack you have is almost making it, could you try recessing the head of the jack on the outside of the guitar a bit? That could be done easily.