Waves Gtr Amp-sim Plugin

GregP

http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=5847

You don't get quite as many amps as the full GTR3, but 10 amps is plenty for most of us. And at $140, certainly cheaper than the hardware+software package.

I'm not busting out my credit card just yet, but it certainly presents a compelling alternative to some of the other available options.

Most plugins can be monitored in realtime these days.

For realtime usage, it depends entirely on your audio interface and setup. You need low-latency (ASIO or CoreAudio) drivers to use a plug-in effectively in realtime. Luckily, even cheap AC'97 (the most common on-board sound-chip and also common in the original Soundblaster Live!) soundcards have ASIO options available through 3rd-party software like ASIO4ALL.

To answer your question, though, people purchase them with the intention of playing in realtime, not just applying after the recording.

I can't imagine recording a dry guitar track without at least SOME amp sound in realtime, even if you later decide to change the actual amp being used.

Thanks, thats exactly what I wanted to know. I use Cakewalk GTPro for recording and have tried plugins with little success. I have recently been looking at Guitar Rig 3 as an option cuase I am not really fond of my Vox Vlaveltronix amp sounds. I couldnt find much info on using the GRig through a pair of decent monitors as opposed to my Vox.

Until now I have always gone through soe sort of effects unit then into the soundcard. I recently got a decent laptop and was wondering what the best way to go would be for carrying a reasonable recording setup in my laptop bag.

Any other thoughts?

Luke

• 2 months later...

The software that Greg mentioned has a 7 day trial so it might be an idea to see if emulation can be done without any outboard gear. If it doesn't sound that good you can see on this forum a few gadgets that get a decent sound plugged straight into a recorder. Here's another one, it's vintage and rare, but if you ever see one, snap it up,

playbus509.jpg

The Boss Play Bus, it has a gain control, delay or chorus with depth and speed sliders, two phone outputs, a mic input, and an Aux input labeled "cassette in", this thing was made way before MP3s were even dreamt about. It will fit easily into your laptop pocket, and if your amp ever plays up, you can plug it straight into the PA and it sounds organic.