Walnut And Maple Dc

i have wanted a gretsch for years, infact i think one the first guitars i truly lusted after was a gretsch malcolm young model like this

http://www.samash.com/catalog/imagepop.asp...g_GG6131SMY.jpg

feels like all i have doing recently is watching paint dry and i have loads of stuff nearly done so wanted to start something fresh.. i am not doing a copy of the gretsch but it inspired me to start this

gv.jpg

The shape is more from memory of the gretsch and didnt end up quite as similar as i thought but i am quite happy with my version

Its different for me because i dont do much (sucessfully) with carved tops and want to get that sorted - it also has a deep set neck tenon that will go under the top... i have done neck joins like this without tops before but this will be a bit more complicated and already its got me feeling like i am doing things arse about tit.

body is black walnut from simo, top is maple - obviously. neck is mahogany and wenge and the fretboard is grenadillo - again from simo. Pickup will be a single TV jones filtertron plus - hopefully it will be the pickups final home after the 3 other guitars its been in

keeping everything else simple - not bothering with multi-ply binding or fancy inlays

well i got the neck glued in this morning which meant i could get on with putting the top on this evening

first off i levelled off the excess neck tenon with the router thicknesser

th_1-14.jpg

Yep - i know i have a gap at the end of the pocket but if you are going to have a gap anywhere thats the best place for it :D

After that the top has to be cut to fit around the fretboard and neck section

th_2-11.jpg

and after a bit of trimming it all fits together nicely

3-10.jpg

I then cut off the excess wood in the cutaways before glueing the top on

Normally it would make a lot of sense to almost make the neck completely before getting to this stage - - but with this body design it wont be too much of a problem to work around the horns

i have a TV jones Filtertron + to go in it.

yeah the top will be carved - but i have no firm plan on how i will do it yet.. just going to try a few methods and see what works for me. The gretschs have pressed laminated top plates so the carve will be quite subtle (hopefully) to get a similar look

ah feel free :D

In that case....

Malcom just seems like a near pointless add-on, capable of being replaced by pretty much anyone. Kinda like Michael Anthony or Ringo Star.

I saw AC/DC in concert in '87-'88 or so. It was the absolute WORST show I've ever seen. Malcom & the bassist (does he even have a name? does anyone care?) stood on either side of the drum platform the entire show. Their only sign of NOT being a Disney animatronic roboy was when they marched straight forward to give some backup vocals on the choruses, then marched backward into place.

I lost a lot of respect for AC/DC after I learned about 5 or 6 of their songs. It seems like they're all in G & D with some A/E flavor once in a while. That allows Angus to play the exact same pentatonic scale in the exact same position for every song. He can (basically) only play one scale, but he really plays the heck out of it.

That makes Angus pretty dang over rated. Just like Bo Didly. Bo only plays one chord, but he really tears that one chord a new one... on every... single... song!

So, combine Malcom's zombie act, Angus's one scale, and Brian Johnson's "I gargle with used razor blades & acid" voice, why do we all like AC/DC again? I do like them, but I can't explain why for the life of me.

Edited by avengers63

i dont mind... cant say i am much of an AC/DC fan at the end of the day - - - but the gretsch signitures that came out in the 90's always appealed a lot... Maybe because they are a less garish semi gloss version of a classic gretsch shape, but still a lot classier than malcoms mutilated beast

Nice design Wez and good job on the build thus far. I always thought Gretsch's were hollow body's?? Not a fan of hollow bodies myself and I reckon your design is the way to go, nice big body for a full sound. Have you considered the angle grinder/flap disc method for the carve?

ACDC are so popular because they are so simple....no gimmicks, no bulls......just great 4/4 rock n roll.....they stick to a formula and the results speak for themselves. Not unlike KISS in my opinion although Kiss vary things up a bit more acoustically, but same theory. I love the fact the rythm dudes just stand and deliver....again no gimmicks just doin their thang. In fact, that is why I enjoyed Slayer in Melbourne/Aust. so much last year, no carry on or posing just brute metal :D

Edited by AprilEthereal666

yeah the real gretsch would be almost completely hollow

still havnt decided on how to do the carve but the originals were pressed laminated plates so i will probably keep it quite subtle. The angle grinder is a good one but i think i will take it slow and steady on this

I thought it was a Jet? In which case it should just be chambered, not hollow. Definitely not hollowbody/archtop construction. But yeah, the Jet DC is one of my favorite Gretsch designs.

As for losing respect for how he plays the guitar...well, that just seems kind of silly. It all fits perfectly with the music they're making. In which case, he's an excellent musician. Doesn't matter if he isn't a virtuoso. Music is about...making music, nothing else.

And without Bo Diddley, most likely none of us would be rocking. Definitely not in this way. One of the most influential musicians in rock history. HIS style of playing pretty much started it all. Just try to play as simply and effectively as he could. Bet you can't. Humbling, ain't it?

I thought it was a Jet? In which case it should just be chambered, not hollow. Definitely not hollowbody/archtop construction. But yeah, the Jet DC is one of my favorite Gretsch designs.

'almost completely hollow' isnt really a quantifiable amount of hollowness is it :D I suppose i should have said 'almost completely hollow compared to a lot of other chambered solidbody electric guitars'

a picture says 1000 words

jetchambers.jpg

ok, i know that its a single cutaway jet in the picture above, hopefully i can be forgiven for that :D

Ah, yeah, I see what you mean. I consider that a chambered guitar, sure. For me, 'hollow' really means you're using archtop/acoustic construction techniques.

I never realized the Jets had chambers that big though, thanks for the pic!

While I'm at it, what's the measurements on the body? I have a Jet Junior that I can use for a template, but it seems kind of small.

not sure on actual measurements of a proper gretsch i'm afraid

although on the chambering issue - i am now considering hollowing mine out from the back. I have a small walnut acoustic set with some subtle flaming that would look really good as a back plate