Anybody Know How To Install Grill Cloth?

toddler68

I bought a new piece of grill cloth to re-furb my Fender Twin and I'm not sure exactly how to apply it. Does anybody know of a tutorial on how to do this or could walk me through it? Any good Fender restoration websites? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Todd

I bought a new piece of grill cloth to re-furb my Fender Twin and I'm not sure exactly how to apply it. Does anybody know of a tutorial on how to do this or could walk me through it? Any good Fender restoration websites? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Todd

Todd, The grill cloth is usually attached to a wooden frame of some sort that fits into the front of the amp cabinet. You just need to figure out how the frame is attached, remove it, and swap the old cloth for the new cloth (I would try to use a similar attachment method as the original), and then reinsert the frame.

Jer,

Thanks for the feedback. Well, I've had to re-make the frame because the old one (which was not the original) was falling apart and the cloth (also not original) was attached very poorly with staples and not stretched properly. So, I don't really have a good example to go by.

My question is, exactly how was the original grill cloth attached at the factory? Or better yet, what's the generally-accepted method of attachment these days? Is any kind of adhesive involved or just staples? Also, does it need to fold over to the back side (overlap) and get attached on the back or is it fine to attach to the outside edges?

Thanks, Todd

Oh sorry, I thought that was obvious, yeah you pull it around to the back side of the frame and glue/staple it back there. :D

Thanks guys. I confirmed as much after checking out an old Twin down at Guitar Center. Looks like I'll have to get a bigger piece then. Anybody need an 18"x36" piece of Fender grill cloth? :D

There's a whole load of stuff on Cabs, fitting Tolex and grill cloth Here.

Denis

i would staple round the back rather than on the edges.. the main reason is that the wooden frame should be very slightly loose without grill cloth but a very snug fit with it. the staples may stop you getting the frame back in or even tear the tolex on the sides

the type of grill cloth also needs to be considered - as i found out when changing from a light cloth to a marshall style basketweave. because the frame was so snug and the basketweave so much thicker it would not fit back in and needed to be unstapled and trimmed down. Actually thats another good point - check the fit before you glue anything.

so what i would do is:

Stretch the fabric out and staple in place, check the fit - then remove and reinforce the join at the back with a glue like west systems epoxy that will soak into it all