Drafting Plans For A Neckthru

Hi guys,

I'm an amatuer builder and I've only had experience building bolt on guitars. I'm hoping to tackle a neckthru for my next build and I was wondering if there was anything different from building a bolt on that i should take into consideration when building a neck thru guitar.. I know how to draft out my scale length, intonation line for the bridge and all of that stuff that came standard with bolt on, but im wondering if there was anything tricky that i may not know about when drafting plans and designing my future neck thru build. Any help is greatly appreciated! =)

Also, i just got the trial version of autocad 2009 and im running through some of the tutorials right now that are in the help menu, but i was wondering if anybody knew of any tutorials for autocad that were more relevant to guitar design..

thanks!

-Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys,

I'm an amatuer builder and I've only had experience building bolt on guitars. I'm hoping to tackle a neckthru for my next build and I was wondering if there was anything different from building a bolt on that i should take into consideration when building a neck thru guitar.. I know how to draft out my scale length, intonation line for the bridge and all of that stuff that came standard with bolt on, but im wondering if there was anything tricky that i may not know about when drafting plans and designing my future neck thru build. Any help is greatly appreciated! =)

Also, i just got the trial version of autocad 2009 and im running through some of the tutorials right now that are in the help menu, but i was wondering if anybody knew of any tutorials for autocad that were more relevant to guitar design..

thanks!

-Mike

I dont know of any tutorials, but ive been using Autocad since release 9, you can look for some of the instructional books at border or on ebay...I just stumbled on this site. I layed out a scale/intonation dwg with a floyd recess, and solid modeled a recessed floyd route, if that helps you out.

thanks

pat

If you're pessimistic, you can make the neck-thru blank long enough that if you bugger it up before attaching the fretboard and before cutting the scarf, you can just cut it off and make it a bolt-on! :D

+1 to what killemall8 said about neck angle....make sure you've made your choice of bridge and don't change your mind. I actually like to have the bridge in my hands before I start putting saw to wood.

• 3 weeks later...

Best thing I can tell you for learning AutoCAD, is by watching someone actually drawing something up. My brother caught on how the trim and extend commands work, just from watching over my shoulder as I drew up our band logo. So if you have someone handy around, show them your design and let him start drawing it, then watch all the commands he uses and how/why he's using them.

I dunno if you've had any drafting classes, but your top and side view projections are your most important layouts. Keep them accurate with plenty of construction lines as you go. Bouncing between Ortho and Free drawing is very handy. Remember that CAD is mathematically exact. If you've got funky fractions, don't be afraid to enter them AS fractions instead of decimal equivalents. And if you get good enough, doing a completely 3D layout of a guitar before building is very very handy. Especially when trying to visualize the edges or any beveling.

well, i find neckthrus to be much easier. the neck angle is the only thing you have to worry about as far as that goes

and as far as cad goes, i love ACDsee Canvas. its much more user friendly with many of the same features as an autocad

• 2 weeks later...

I too think neck thu is the easiest construction method, provided you don't use a maple cap or of other sort of wood and don't change plans regarding the bridge you'll use.

I seriously find it million times easier than routing a neck pocket that's got to fit PERFECTLY in order to have that good sound transfer...