Duncan P-rails

GregP

The buzz is that they look fugly but might prove versatile. Me, I don't mind the looks... I'm not a purist when it comes to that kind of thing. I love P90s, but I find my p90 guitar rather limiting. It does one job and does it really well. If this pickup does the p90 the best out of the 3 "modes" but adds versatility and unique sounds (the demo guitar didn't have them in parallel for example) then I'm for it.

And hey... how many Frank Falbos can there be? Same Frank we know and love from here?

Wow, that is cool. I'll have to make a note to check out the Youtube link when I get home from work.

I think I may have to order one of these to slap into something, see what sounds come out.

Hey GregP, yeah that's me in the video. I just thought of you tonight because I'm building a lap steel for our purchasing guy. Actually, he bought a set of P-Rails for his PRS SE and is quite pleased with them. Thanks for the kind words. I've actually been working on P-Rails for quite some time, and moved to CA to work for Seymour Duncan in the process.

I can tell you the P90 sound was the primary concern. The rest of the pickup design was somewhat dictated by the vision for the P90 tone.

Anyway if you get to try a set, be sure to report back to me what you think!

Hey Frank,

Glad you stopped in. Every time I have guests over, I get to wow them by telling them that the "funny-looking guitar" in my guitar corner is a lap steel... the curious ones who want to know more details are regaled with the tale of how it all came together, no small thanks to you and the roller saddles + the other stuff you sent! The downside comes when I'm asked to demonstrate it and becomes clear how badly I suck. I never did work up the discipline to learn C6 properly.

I bet it's a lot of fun being able to work for a company that's a major player in the world of guitar... hope you're enjoying it!

If the P-Rails were a drop-in fit for P90s instead of humbuckers, it'd be a consideration for my Godin LG-90. Looking like it'll be a while before there's another guitar in my future, though.

Greg

Fantastic! Hey another funny story, the guy that shot the demo video (which is available higher res at the Duncan site) was actually with me when I found those roller saddles! I told him the story and he remembers the whole thing.

Anyway yes it's great to work for Seymour Duncan.

The P-Rails in a P90 housing is something the Custom Shop can do, but it requires slightly smaller magnets in order to fit everything under there. So it'll be like 95% the same thing, but a little different. But then with the Custom Shop you can pretty much get whatever you want.

Did I ever see a picture of that lap steel?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Frank I'm currently apprenticing @ Roberto-Venn School of Lutheiry. I've got a student and he has a question for you..

My name is Jacob Lambert and I just bought 2 of the p-rails pickups, and with the wiring diagram that came with the pu's it doesn't show me how to wire the mini switches so that I can control the pickups individually. For example i would like to be able to mix and match the coils with two separate mini switches like a p-90 at the neck and a humbucker at the bridge or a p-90 at the bridge and a fender single at the neck and so on and so forth. I want to do this using 2 separate 3 way on on on switches one for each pu. I will also use a gibson 3 way 1 master volume and 2 tones I am looking for a diagram.

Can you help me out? Thanks.

Hey scab, just a heads-up that Frank doesn't pop in here all that regularly, though you might luck out! Once he gets the pickups, they're bound to come with a wiring diagram of some sort, from which people around here could probably give him advice. My suspicion (and it's ONLY a suspicion) is that it'll be wired like a 4-conductor humbucker. Since there's already the P90 for single coil, I doubt they'd bother giving a "split" version of the humbucker portion. That would mean that he could look up virtually any diagram that uses 4-conductor humbucker tricks (and there are tonnes!) to do what he wants to do.

Hey Frank I'm currently apprenticing @ Roberto-Venn School of Lutheiry. I've got a student and he has a question for you..

My name is Jacob Lambert and I just bought 2 of the p-rails pickups, and with the wiring diagram that came with the pu's it doesn't show me how to wire the mini switches so that I can control the pickups individually. For example i would like to be able to mix and match the coils with two separate mini switches like a p-90 at the neck and a humbucker at the bridge or a p-90 at the bridge and a fender single at the neck and so on and so forth. I want to do this using 2 separate 3 way on on on switches one for each pu. I will also use a gibson 3 way 1 master volume and 2 tones I am looking for a diagram.

Can you help me out? Thanks.

Sorry, but what sort of training is provided if the students (teachers?) cant work this one out in a minute or two with a multimeter, a screw driver, and an amp?