Quilted Maple Question

I just got ahold of some 4"x8" pieces of quilted maple. They were only cut - no other prep on them at all. As I'm trying to sand them smooth, I'm finding that some of the deeper figure just won't sand smooth. It stay's very rough with a lot of grain sticking straight up. Is this normal and quilted just needs a LOT of sanding to get it smooth? The alternative is that the pieces are crap and I wasted the money.

I think it quite a common occurance in figured woods, especially quilted. Probably part of the reason sanding suggested over planing much of the time in many figured woods. Check out the progress section, there is a thread called Avia Hh-1000 #001. Go down to the post update for today and one of the middle pics is a close up of some quilted maple, thats the problem you are speaking of right?

I actually had some funny grain in my zebrawood and ran into the same issue, just a small patch of it. Basically, I spent a fair amount of time with a very sharp scraper, though I did some sanding first as well, I think you may be able to sand it all out if done properly, but not certain. I don't know what the process is for this, I'm sure the guys have some helpful tips for you. The scraper worked for me, however, you need it to be nice and sharp and keep it sharp, a smaller hook worked slightly better for me, for whatever reason, I only had to do a small spot though. But wait and see what the much more experienced guys do. J

Check out the progress section, there is a thread called Avia Hh-1000 #001. Go down to the post update for today and one of the middle pics is a close up of some quilted maple, thats the problem you are speaking of right?

YES!!! That's EXACTLY what's on mine. On one of the pieces, half the wood is dead flat, half is raised in spots. Seeing that, I KNOW it can be sanded perfectly smooth. I'm guessing a belt sander ot an orbital sander would be a lot easier, not to mention quicker.

Now, if I just got it as smooth as I can by hand, but there's still some raised bits, how would it end up looking with a finish on it? If it's only noticable when you're looking for it, I might not worry about it so much.

Edited by avengers63

What you are dealing with is the grain running up and down, exposing side grain in some areas and end grain(runnout) in others. This is what makes it look as it does. You know that side grain and end grain sand differently, and that is what is giving you the grief. When you get ready to finish and raise the grain then sand, you will notice it facets a bit again all due to the way the grain runs.

Most people have no trouble seeing how visable grain lines(growth rings) orient, but grain also runs in a less visable direction somewhat perpendicular to the viable growth rings. When split this orientation becomes appearant as the split will follow it. If you looked at a very well quartersawn(pretty much flawless) bookmatched set, and both sides reflect light pretty much equally, you probably have very little deviation or slope in the face grain. If one side appears much darker than the other then you will most likely have a stronger slope to the face grain. This light and dark effect is also what gives figured wood its look. Curly or Quilted figured woods are basically an example of extream face grain runnout.

Hope that helps make more sense of what you are seeing or experiencing. Your Quilted Maple is not defective at all, just the way it is suposed to be :D

Rich