Messed Up Fb Gluing

personally, i would just leave it. thats a reallys small difference. and in the pic it looks like its centered.

EDIT: are you talking about it not being centered, or the truss rod channel sticking out of the end of the fretboard?

Edited by killemall8

personally, i would just leave it. thats a reallys small difference. and in the pic it looks like its centered.

EDIT: are you talking about it not being centered, or the truss rod channel sticking out of the end of the fretboard?

That´s it! It´s not centered properly. I also had this in mind to leave it, but there´s still bridge to put. It will be off centered too.

It´s a neckthrough guitar I´m trying to build.

Edited by VesQ

3mm off centre is not a small difference - that's a job which requires a do-over.

Use a hot iron to and spatula to separate the fretboard, and then scrape away the old glue residue with a scraper or sharp chisel, taking care not to guage the gluing surfaces, and keep them all nice and flat.

Reglue it, and this time use brads, or cocktail stick location pins to stop the fretboard slipping.

**Edit**

Of course, it's actaully only 1.5mm off centre - doh. Still, that's enough to merit a re-glue. It's not a difficult procedure, and you'll be glad you did it right when you finish.

how would the bridge be crooked just becuause the truss rod isnt centered? that makes no sense. if you align the bridge with the fretboard, it will still be aligned.

no, he glued the fb on crooked in contrast to his laminations;

1.5 mm of centre at the bottom dosent look bad; but when you carve the neck, by the time you get to the nut, your outside lams are going to look very uneven, now combine that with the entire length of a neck thru; byt the time he gets to bridge ; the bridge is going to be way off center ;

i would follow setch' advice; this is how you learn to make guitars, by fixing mistakes, not reading a blog and mastering your first build, you'll be happy after for the experience and it will beat in the importance of positioning during glue-up;

or........ you could paint the whole thing and no one will ever know; it will still be a hand made guitar out of good wood

but paint sucks, if it wasnt your initial intention