Jackson King V Plans Or Templates: Options?

I am curious if there is a good place to find either plans or buy a template for a Jackson King V. I would like to make an all-mahogany set-neck variation of the King V design. I dunno, I think it just looks a little cooler and maybe a bit less-utilized than the RR-V. Besides, I want to have a four-knob setup so the King V might be a bit more spacious for that design.

Anyway, I can't find a set of plans or any place that sells King V templates. Anybody have any advice?

As an aside, if I get plans (PDF, CAD, or what have you) but can't get them full-sized, is there any tried-and-true method for blowing them up, like with a projector and then drawing it out on paper? This sounds asinine, however unless I could give the exact dimensions for blowing up a drawing (i.e. print it out on size A"XB" paper, not make it match the scale given or make the length of the strings on the drawing a 24.75/25/25.5/etc." scale), the cashier at Kinkos was clueless, so I am wondering if I go old-school and somehow project the picture, or just use a ruler and rough measurements, I will be close enough.

My other option is to get plans/templates for a RR V and cut the top half out, then flip the template over for the next side. Is there any reason that would(n't) work better/worse than some other plan? This might also be nice if I ever plan to make a RR-style offset-V in the future. Thanks in advance

-Cheers

Hey there..

As far as I remember there are King-V plans for grabs at www.guitarbuild.com.

Check your printer settings, it might have a tile function that allows for full scale prints, and then you just tape the sheets together.

If not, split the plans into smaller size sections, and then print them 'manually' and then tape..

Cheers!

Hey there..

As far as I remember there are King-V plans for grabs at www.guitarbuild.com.

I checked the downloads and did not see any. Would I need to look anywhere else a/o sign up to access them? Thank you for the recommendation either way; they have a few designs I might look at down the road.

-Cheers

As for blowing up a picture, here is the formula I use (may be obvious to some, but hopefully it will help someone out):

(desired dimension * 100)/(original dimension) = (% you need to blow the pic up)

original dimension = measured from the picture printed at 100%

desired dimension = what you want it to be after blowing up

For example, if you print out a small picture and measure the scale length as 4 inches, but you know the scale length should be 24 inches (keeping the math easy for this example), the formula would be:

(24*100)/4=600%

Then you can print out your picture at 600% and it should be pretty close. You can then use the formula again to fine-tune your measurements.

I hope this is useful to someone!

You don't really need a plan for a King V. It's a symmetrical shape. Just ask somebody who has a King V to take the dimensions. You can then draw it by hand.

A King V fits in a square right?. The neck pocket is about 2.5". You center the neck pocket at the top of the square and draw the wings line from the neck pocket to the bottom corners. And then you draw the center line from the middle of the neck pocket to the bottom of the square. And then you draw the V shape between the wings. Easy.

I've got some KV's. Need dimensions? :D

I'll PM you tonight.

Edited by MescaBug

You don't really need a plan for a King V. It's a symmetrical shape. Just ask somebody who has a King V to take the dimensions. You can then draw it by hand.

I suppose that should have been obvious from the get-go. :D

A King V fits in a square right?. The neck pocket is about 2.5". You center the neck pocket at the top of the square and draw the wings line from the neck pocket to the bottom corners. And then you draw the center line from the middle of the neck pocket to the bottom of the square. And then you draw the V shape between the wings. Easy.

Sounds doable. How would you factor the curvature of the inside of the V? Just guess/approximate the radius of the circle and use an old-school compass?**

I've got some KV's. Need dimensions? :D

I'll PM you tonight.

Sure. That would be great. Thanks a million!

-Cheers

**Edit: Scratch that. For some reason I was thinking the wings met on a curve inside the two wings. Looking at pics . . . Nope. Just meeting at an angle. Sorry about that.

One final question/clarification . . . What measurements or tools would I use to calculate the curvature of the inside of the wings of the King V? And use that to make my own template for it tonight. It looks like they curve a bit like a bow. Is there any way to guess that, should I make my own radius within a certain range, or just leave it totally flat?

-Cheers

One final question/clarification . . . What measurements or tools would I use to calculate the curvature of the inside of the wings of the King V? And use that to make my own template for it tonight. It looks like they curve a bit like a bow. Is there any way to guess that, should I make my own radius within a certain range, or just leave it totally flat?

-Cheers

There's a few ways to do this. First, you gotta figure out just how much curve you want. I'll give you an idea of how to do it right on top of your template.

Get a square stick of balsa wood, or a fiberglass kite frame piece, or just about any thin straight item that's still flexible. On your template, mark your insides of the wings, and a straight line. At the midpoint of the straight line, mark some notch lines parallel to the straight line, to use as a curving point.

Use some thumbpins from a cork bulletin board, to make anchor points. Place your flexible stick againt the pins. Then, flex the stick to create your intended curvature. Use your notches to measure how far you curved the stick, and stick a third pin in the middle to keep the stick flexed. Do the same for the other wing, making sure to flex the stick the same amount as before. This will assure symmetry.

After you flex it as much as you think looks appropriate, draw a line against the staright edge. There's your curve!