Stewmacs Prewired Pickgaurds

so i seen these while i was browsing, and it dosent seem like a half bad price, for the time it saves of a throw together/drop in;

but besides the reference to 6k ohms there is no info on the pickups themselves; anyone try them?

are they chinese skweelers, or something else,

e.g. if i was upgrading a squire ; would it be an upgrade or downgrade?

thanx

I can't offer an opinion on these versus a squier, but you can find the same thing cheaper. Go to ebay's pickguard section and search for the term 'loaded'. You'll often find excellent deals on these --even branded names. There's no doubt that many of those will be the exact same as what Stewmac's selling.

It's just as easy to replace the existing pickups, only involves cutting the wires and resoldering them.

But if you go to the pickup section and type in "harness" you'll often find complete sets, pots and all, already wired up for you. I bought a set of Fender strat pickups with electonics (MIM but still) for $25.

Used a set of the StewMac preloaded doodads once, to restore a really cheap beater no-namer for my highschool, way back when. At the time they were your usual dirt-cheap ceramic bar magnet pickups as found on your average non-squier cheap strat copy. Even the Mexican strat pickups at the time (which were not very good at all) were quite a bit better.

At a cheap price point? Look to get a set of GFS AlNiCo singles or something.

Hey Fuzz, Xanthus beat me to it, I was gonna mention Guitar Fetish loaded pickgards. they look a like a great value and seem to have a lot of choices too. -Vinny

Same. I just got one of the cheaper prewired pickguards. It looks pretty good. Don't know how it sounds yet, I will probably end up swapping the pups out for something else but for 30 bucks you cant beat it. They definetly have some good stuff there.