Out Of The Shadows

It's time to stop lurking in the shadows, and start participating.

This was our (one of my sons and I) first build. There's some obvious BC Rich inspiration in there.

It's a 25.5" scale, 'e-bay special' neck (maple and rosewood). Plantation mahogany body blank from Gilet guitars. Skull knobs from Dreadmeister. Dual humbuckers and a licensed Floyd Rose bridge.

According to my son it plays well ... I can't play a note. We finished this one months ago but I'm posting it now 'cos we're looking at moving on to out first (Project Guitar supervised) build. Given that I'm a simple old, office-worker, I'm really pleased with the result, despite the obvious flaws and newbie errors.

So this is an introduction; a practice post; an invitation for feedback; and a warning that I'll be back shortly looking for guidance.

[Now why didn't the picture work?!? See the next post.]

The first cut

Routed and ready

Mock up

Headstock

Wiring and covers

Edited by Dadovfor

Usually over-the-top and ultra pointy guitars scare me... But I quite like this one. It's got a lot of a BC Rich vibe going on. And congrats on that paint job! It came out well. I'd paint the headstock black and swap out them knobs for some plain ol's, and be all set! Unless I were playing for Manson, or maybe touring with Meat Loaf. But I think that last one would be a bit heavy on the irony :D

Thanx for the positive feedback. B)

Xanthus (et al) ... on reflection, I agree that the balance would be better if the headstock was black. The original intention was to do a logo with my son's name (hence the plain background) but a lack of materials, time, and expertise seemed to kill that. So it remains plain ... for the time being at least.

We bought more traditional gold knobs in the planning stages, and you can see them in one of the photos where I tried everything on the body for size, but my son loved the skull knobs when he saw them on the net and was determined to get a set. Like the headstock, they probably don't give a great visual balance ... but they are a bit of a talking point and they're good for a laugh. [i got a couple of spares which I might turn into cuff-links]. :D

Anyway ... I'm going to take what I've learnt and move on with the next couple of projects ... but I've got the feeling I'll eventually come back to this one and make the sort of changes you've suggested.

Again, thanks for the positive words ... it's good to get good feedback from this community on a first build.

:D

Two cents about the headstock.

Paint the front solid black, but paint the sides gold. Do the pointed-masking Gibson trick so the gold tapers in the back to a point in the middle of the neck, just behind the nut. Then do the back black, to allow a transition from the black back and gold sides, to a pointed gold into the black back. It'll look slick and very different from everything out there. Not really hard, just a few masking sessions to get the gold stripe behind to look cool. Almost like a fattened pinstriping.