Lacqer Question

This is a pretty basic question but I am not very knowledable so thought I would ask. I just spray painted (Krylon high gloss) an inexpensive Saga Kit guitar. It looks good but I would like to put on a decal on the front of it and then spray clear coat over it so it is smooth to the touch? My question is can I use lacquer to accomplish this. I can use the spray can type or I have a small compressor (5 gal) and a spray gun that I have never used. Or is this some other product that will put the a high gloss finish over the entire body and make it totally smooth. Any help I can get is appreciated.

that would be a disaster. laquer would burn right thru that paint. just use the same brand of clear.

That is what I was wondering. Will clear build up to where the decal can't be felt to the touch? Will I need to rub out the clear coat or wet sand when there is enough on it?

Again, I appologize for my lack of knowledge but I do know enough to ask rather than try something and ruin the project. I appreciate your help

The other thing is that you are going to have a hard time getting a good result with that size of compressor if you use a spray gun. You'll empty the tank very quickly and you'll get a pulsating effect as the motor is running. Plus those little compressors just can't move enough air to atomize the paints or clears.

What type of clear are you think of using over the Krylon you sprayed. Your best bet is probably to stay with the Krylon brand clear coats, but they are know to stay pretty soft.

The other thing is that you are going to have a hard time getting a good result with that size of compressor if you use a spray gun. You'll empty the tank very quickly and you'll get a pulsating effect as the motor is running. Plus those little compressors just can't move enough air to atomize the paints or clears.

What type of clear are you think of using over the Krylon you sprayed. Your best bet is probably to stay with the Krylon brand clear coats, but they are know to stay pretty soft.

I was afraid my compressor was too small. I guess I will just stay with the cans. I have never used a spray gun anyway so I would have probably messed it up. I purchased the Krylon Clear today to will use that. The guitar (a cheap Saga) is going to be hung on the wall so I hope the Krylon will be hard enough. Appreciate the info!

The Iwata Lph-80 will work okay with that gun. It has a very low cfm rating and sprays extremely well. I used it with a small harbor freight compressor before I traded it for my 5.5hp 30 gallon Devilbiss.

My spray gun (never been used) is a Kobalt Large Gravity Feed Sprayer. I purchased it from Lowes but not sure how good it is. Guess I will need to get it out and play with it. After I finish this kit I plan on making another and hope to stain it and use lacquer. That is probably a couple months down the road. I wish I had waited to buy the spray gun and would have gotten the Iwata

The Iwata Lph-80 will work okay with that gun. It has a very low cfm rating and sprays extremely well. I used it with a small harbor freight compressor before I traded it for my 5.5hp 30 gallon Devilbiss.

How much does the Iwata usually run? I've never seen any spray gun that runs off that low of CFM other than an air brush. I'll definitely have to look into one of those when I go to upgrade.