First Build

Did not come out as well as I wanted, my design was original and in retrospect it looks a little misproportional. I still have some problems with the wiring (thats why only one string).

The body is solid walnut (air dried)

The fretboard is lacewood

Two of the inlays (on fret 12) are old 22 shells saw the idea on this sight, I can't take credit for the idea

The pickups are twin non-brandname humbuckers

Stained with waterlox and finished with clear butchers wax.

The less than exceptional outcome of my first build has taught me alot, both in what I just did not do due to lack of knowledge and what I did wrong. Ideas are stewing for my next build, I am thinking something similar to a PRS se custom semi-hollow, but I will make it original.

As a footnote my guitar is not a lefty but I use a computer mounted camera, so it has a mirror effect.

Photo83.jpg

Photo76.jpg

Photo79.jpg

Photo82.jpg

Congrats on your first build! I gotta say I really like that fretboard and inlays, plus the walnut is also very nice. I know what you mean about the original design. I wanted to make my own design and did, but honestly I went through maybe a 100 or more tweaks on the original design that I came up with. What really helped me the most was once I came up with one I really liked, I would buy a big sheet of contruction paper and draw it out to scale so I could see and feel what it would truly be like. Heck, I even had little paper pickups, bridges, and knobs I would place on the paper template to get a feel for the design. There were many designs that looked great when drawn small on paper, but looked and felt terrible draw out full size. Even after that step I would make a mdf template of the shape and get a further look and feel for the design before commiting.

Either way, I think its great you got through your first build and are looking forward to the next challenge. You really end up learning so much with each step you take and I find I learn even more with each mistake or problem I run into. It is important to know how to do each step and any tricks and tips to ensure it goes well, I am constantly researching for extra help and ideas. Again, congrats on the build, bet it'll sound great and look forward to seeing what your next one. Jason

thanks, all of you guys. I did draw it out to scale as jmrentis said but I wasnt really able to get an idea of the proportion until after, I would have used a different neckscale. But hey there is always next time? (I think I will put up some sketches of my next idea soon for people to critique)