Painting Guitar Neck (spray)

Hi, when you spray a guitar neck with aerosol (black color from stewmac), how many layers is adequate?

THe neck width at the twelfth fret is exactly 50 mm on my guitar. Will multiple layers increase the thickness drastically and affect the speed potential?

And does anyone know where can get an ABS hardshell for a v guitar? I CANT FIND ONE!!!! been looking across cyberspace for like eternity..!!

Or maybe a gig bag thicker than 30 cm padding? :D

Thank You!!

Hi, when you spray a guitar neck with aerosol (black color from stewmac), how many layers is adequate?

THe neck width at the twelfth fret is exactly 50 mm on my guitar. Will multiple layers increase the thickness drastically and affect the speed potential?

You sure your parents won't be pissed about this part too? :D

Esppse, you need to cool your jets a bit and start reading up.

First thing to know: if you paint the guitar yourself, you will have to wait at least a month, and preferably two, before you'll be able to play it again. Assuming you perform the finish correctly. Depends on what you use, of course.

But since it's apparent you've never done this before, you really should spend some time learning about all of this. Go to the tutorials section, there's a whole space about finishing. Read up first, then come back with your questions.

The short answer, though, is: one.

One coat of black paint. You can't play on a painted neck without a clear coat. The number of coats of clear depend on what you use. But it's unlikely that will affect the 'speed' potential.

Your best bet is to find a friendly body shop to paint/clear the neck for you -- that way it's be ready to play in a day or so.